Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In getting ready, took a look at chaincase oil...well, it is all grudge...and pretty thick. Taking cover off this weekend to clean up, is there something good to use to get all the grudge and stuff cleaned out of it? I am a bit worried there may be some small metal shards...what should I look for in terms of pieces that may need to be replaced.

Thanks!

·
Registered
523 Posts
The sludge is just metal particles off of the chain. It's normal. Lay the sled on it's left side when you remove the cover, then suck out all the oil with a turkey injector. This just keeps the mess to a minimum. Then I'd use brake cleaner or carb cleaner, put the cover back on and re-fill it.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
You will see any metal shards on the magnet at the end of the dipstick, wipe it on a clean white rag and you will see if there are any "sparklers" on it, or metal chunks to be worried about.

Project RMK got it down...tip her over and take the cover off, on my Polaris I have a drain plug that you drain it with.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I've noticed when I took my cover off, pieces of gasket and residue stick to the edges of the chaincase cover. If you don't take off the residue, It will leak. I always lightly sand it off.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Is there a better way to do that then just roll it on its side? I suppose not hey

·
Premium Member
15,520 Posts
Your chain should outlast the sled. You can look at the teeth in the sprockets and see if there are deep grooves worn into them. If proper maintainance is not done, it is very possible to see elevated wear. But such wear would be evident. If your chain tensioner is in all the way and chain is not tight, your due for a chain, but I have never heard of that.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I just take brake cleaner and spray the inside down. Make a bit of a mess in the belly pan, but it'll dillute any oil thats dripped onto it and make it easier to clean up.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Originally posted by FirstTimer
[br]In getting ready, took a look at chaincase oil...well, it is all grudge...and pretty thick. Taking cover off this weekend to clean up, is there something good to use to get all the grudge and stuff cleaned out of it? I am a bit worried there may be some small metal shards...what should I look for in terms of pieces that may need to be replaced.

Thanks!
tell yuh what I just did haha...put a block under the left ski and took a clear tube and sucked the oil out haha..kinda weird and all but hey it worked..just gotta go get more oil from the powersports place tomorrow.

·
Registered
368 Posts
All we do is leave them on the ground. Drill a hole is the belly pan and then undo it. Then clean it with carb cleaner and fill her back up. What do you guys use to fill it with?? We use amsoil chaincase oil. You? Not to hijack your topic just askin'
Jake

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I use Klotz synthetic chaincase lube + graphite. It has graphite molecules in it to further reduce friction. It is some slimy gooey stuff, but should do the trick. When I have swapped tracks, or regeared; I always first drain the case, then split and wipe down the inside with rags until clean. I usully change mine every couple years and wipe off the magnetic dip stick at least a couple times a season, so it really doesn't get bad.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I used a syringe(sp) you can get them at any auto store, then pick up a couple
feet of tubing, keep sucking it out till you get nothing.. then I removed the cover.. and there was like
1/2 an ounce left... worked well for me.. :)

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
there will be no need for tipping and baisting on his sled, there is a drain plug on the inside of the tunnel[:)].

Thought i would let you know and save you the mess it took me to find out it had a drain plug.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
i bet you any money your cat has a drain plug mat because..my buddies 95 ext had one on the inside of the tunnel that goes into the back of the chaincase....your deffinitley has one

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
not to sure why your sled wouldnt have one matt, my dads 98 cougar has one and so does my zr and i havnt checked our lynx.

maybe they only started putting the plugs in the chain cases after a certin year.

either way his sled is a 98 and a zr so it should have the drain plug

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
Just don't strip out the drain plug. The one on the X2 was on so bloody tight I stripped out the head of the hex screw. So then out came the easy outs and drill bits. Start drilling and try to get easy out to back out the plug. Hadn't drilled deep enough. Drill some more then drill through the plug. Oil drained out but now....awsome...I got to take the cover off anyway to inspect for any drill shavings.

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Originally posted by 02_zr_600
[br]Is there a better way to do that then just roll it on its side? I suppose not hey
I did a "How To" about this once. I think its called "Changing Chain Case Lube, Old School Style" or something similar to that.
I think its located in the Sled Shed. It might be helpful, or it might be just mildly entertaining.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks to everyone for the feedback!

I dropped it out this weekend....pain in the but. Since I had reverse we were not able to get the entire cover off unless I would have cut the coolant hoses and spliced them back together. But was able to split it completely and drop it out....and check everything in it (lucky my buddy said it all seemed great)

Also had my first lesson in removing and cleaning carbs...did both my 93 polaris classic 500 and AC ZR500....that was much simpler than the chaincase...lol. Greased everything....so good to go.

Thanks again!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.