Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been working on my SPX for a little while now and slowing it's starting to get better.

I mounted the new C&A Advantage skis the other day. While the skis were off I took the oportunity to clean and paint the front suspension components. It looks much better than it did before, rust looks like crap.... Here are the skis mounted up!

Then I tore the tank and cowl off to start repainting the tunnel and add new foot grips and graphics. I am also going to have the new front tunnel reinforcement brackets made of 1/8" Diamond Plate Aluminum to replace the factory ones that are M.I.A. I also have a new rear bumper and side markers coming to finish it off.

I also tore out all the exhaust and took the pipes in to be hot tanked. I don't think they had ever been cleaned(they were grodey inside). I will also clean up the engine bay some more and add fresh heat tape. The Pipes and Silencer will get a new coat of 1,500 deg header paint before I put the polished heat sheilds back on and bolt everything back in.

I also have a Heel CLicker Clutch kit coming. Been waiting a while to get that... SO hopefully we will get some snow before I have to go to Florida in a few weeks.

Does anyone know a few good places to get custom graphics done that maybe specialize in snowmobile stuff?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by POLARISXC440
[br]i heard of a site called ArticFx u would probably have to google it to find it
Thanks, I'll try it. We have a graphics place right down the road from our shop but they aren't very creative.

·
Registered
985 Posts
it looks like your hood is already pretty sweet. lets see a better pic.

and as far as graphics go, don't know if they've ever done a sled but XGX made me custom graphics for all our bikes. www.xgxracing.com, there top notch quality(similar to CEET)

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by FastPolaris
[br]i saw that sled for sale on ebay
Yep, and I bought it! Was a 6hr drive one way....[:(] It needed some TLC but I wanted to get into something before they started going to high.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by bulldog_shotgun
[br]it looks like your hood is already pretty sweet. lets see a better pic.

and as far as graphics go, don't know if they've ever done a sled but XGX made me custom graphics for all our bikes. www.xgxracing.com, there top notch quality(similar to CEET)
Thanks for the link, I will check them out also.

It is a custom painted hood with air brushing and pinstriping. The air brushing is good quality but they combined orange and purple together, which I DO NOT like. The pin striping is awefull, to me anyway.

I like the deep metalic purple and yellow together (which I added to the screens cause they were orange [xx(])so when I get a new headlight bezel I am going to color match it and repaint the hood solid. Then I wanted to add some custome graphics. I was thinking a big yellow and purple "SPX" accross the side under the top vents going left to right and under that a small "Ultra" sticker. Then in the rear a matching "Extra-10" about 1 1/2" tall. Ya know, keep it simple, but still let people know what it is.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
NEW PICS!

While the pipes were off getting cleaned out and ceramic coated I was able to clean up the engine bay a little. I ripped off all the old aluminum tape and put new tape down and I re-wrapped the wire loom and cable. I polished the heat sheilds which I think turned out pretty well. I still need the tie straps to get them on for good. I may wait until I I decide if I am going to fully wrap the pipes with header wrap ot just the parts not covered by the shields.

Anyway, enough of my jabberin', here are some pics. If you want to see before, look at my avatar to the left..... that's a before pic.

I was able to get everything back together to enjoy the few inches we received last week.

·
Registered
174 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by polaris1
[br]Wow Nice Job!! BLING BLING!!
Thanks! Took a bit of work to get those shields looking like that.

I'll try to post some of the tunnel and new running board grips.

I found a place to do the graphics I want.... now I just have to see if I can fit it into my winter budget or if it will be a spring project.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
pipes look excellent! I had intentions of doing my shields like that but never got around to it. How does the filter work? Affect your jetting at all?

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Nice looking Ultra ,got one just like it ,these run excellent!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Very nice! Is that an air filter from a Dodge?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry I haven't replied sooner. I just got back from Vacation yesterday and am now starting to catch back up on internet stuff.

Originally posted by TheKuskokid
[br]Very nice! Is that an air filter from a Dodge?
[:D] That's fuuny!! Yes, it is a filter dimension used on a dodge vehicle, as well as being used on some Volkswagons.

I found the size by looking through my K&N catalog at the size specification chart in the back. I then took the part number and cross refferenced it to a Wick filter and called my local parts store. They had one in stock at a lofty price of $8. I decided to try it first before buying a K&N. The engines these filters come on make around 170hp so I didn't think a stock replacement filter would be a major restriction. Also, until I had a chance to drive it and check jetting, I didn't want it to go too lean from too much airflow.

As of the few times I rode it, the plugs look good but it wasn't all that cold out.

I am a little worried because the previuos owner put 340 jets in it so it is leaner than stock. I have to order new jets ranging from 350 to 380 so i can experiment with it once we finaly get enough snow. I also may end up playing with the needles since I have read these things have a tendency to be lean in the midrange fuel delivery.

Anyone have any recomendations on where I should start?

·
Registered
345 Posts
nice looking ultra! i rode an SPX a few years back and after one taste of a triple triple ultra, i was hooked. i've got mine piped now and put a low windshield on it. ill get pics as soon as i get my camera back. i started with Q-4's and it was too much. i just came in from putting Q-2's in it and i moved the needle up 2 positions and ill start from there. nice machine!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by indy_guy
[br]nice looking ultra! i rode an SPX a few years back and after one taste of a triple triple ultra, i was hooked. i've got mine piped now and put a low windshield on it. ill get pics as soon as i get my camera back. i started with Q-4's and it was too much. i just came in from putting Q-2's in it and i moved the needle up 2 positions and ill start from there. nice machine!
Hey thanks!

yeah I am pretty happy so far with the gitty-up factor. I need to restud my track and go to at least 144 studs if not 192. Maybe today I'll get a few minutes to start on the clutch.

I need to get mine tuned also. It was popping last night a few times. I just need to get it to beat my Brother-in-laws MXZ 800.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts