Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what the reasons are to switch to a clear tank other than the obvious of being able to see how much gas you have. I noticed alot of snowcross sleds have this and was just wondering why? Personally I like the look of the black better but that is just me.

2002 Arctic Cat ZR 800 EFI

founding member of the Arctic Cat Mind Control Team......you will believe!!

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Pre-mixed fuel is darker, and more visible in the clear tanks. Of course they don't use gas gauges, but i don't think there is any other reason except for it's easier than trying to look down the filler tube. Anybody else know?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Lighter too. SLP sells clear gas tanks for a lot of sleds. They are lighter, and easier to tell how much fuel you have. Racers like em because they know how much fuel they are going to use in a race, and only put that much in. If you look, they never fill em up because of weight.

Need some darn snow people.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How much weight savings are we talking about here, I mean they are both just plastic jugs right?

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
On CC races when they fill up the sled at a stop, they can do it quickly without overflowing too because they can see when it is full.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That makes sense I guess.....Now that I think about it it would be nice to see the fuel amount all the time......hmmmmm I wonder if they make a tranparent green one!
Now that I would buy!

·
Registered
948 Posts
"It's not easy being green" sic Kermit.

-----------------------------
I think.... therefore I sled
-----------------------------
Two '94 Indy XLT SKS

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
They can make sure of the amount of fuel in the tank fast. You can take a quick look at it and know how much you have. In Drag racing it would be good to know the amount of fuel you have so you can make a run and not run dry half way.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
If I ever get a cat I will put one on. Just for the race look as well as those damn gas gauges get screwed up so often it isn't even funny this is easy to just look ok there it is and done.

·
Registered
278 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by intendedacceleration:

That makes sense I guess.....Now that I think about it it would be nice to see the fuel amount all the time......hmmmmm I wonder if they make a tranparent green one!
Now that I would buy!

founding member of the Arctic Cat Mind Control Team......you will believe!![/quote]

Intended,
You should'nt have a problem seeing when your tank is close to full. Cat started using that huge opening on their tanks last year, Some people laughed about it, I think it's great. Never over fill and splash gas all over your new sled.

RtkatZL8

·
Registered
586 Posts
My new sled came with a clear tank and an attractive leather cover.It doesn't cover the front of the tank, so when you open the hood, you can see the fuel level.I think that will prove to be pretty handy.I've cut it close a few times with my other sled when the float got hung up on the fuel line in the tank.Luckily I had just enough gas to get home.

Beware of landowners wielding snowshovels!

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Plus Cat uses the gas gauge on the tank rather than on the cap, so you can watch the level rise as you are filling it....Thanks for the reply's everyone!

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
my Kawaksaki 79 440 Intruder had just about the best system. It was just a tube. Went from the bottom of the tank to the top. It always matched the level of the tank so it worked great. But like i said if I get a cat like I hope to it is getting a clear tank I think.

·
Registered
289 Posts
i had to use a wooden stick to tell the gas.. just kept it stuck under the hood.. worked GREAT.. LOL... on my 72

Duct tape much like the force... it has a light side, a dark side.... and it holds the world together!

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
damn right B2SO, if all else fails, use the stick. on my 74, just took a long skinny thing i could find lieing around, stuck it in the tank, and presto!! u know exactly how much u got...lol

Think Snow...hell...might as well think lots of snow!

Member #3 of the Arctic Cat Mind Control Team

1 - 17 of 17 Posts