Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK...I am a little new to this amazingly addictive sport, but I would like to know what the big thing is with the MX style helmets. I bought a GMax modular with a heated faceshield last year and I absolutely love it. I wouldn't give it up for some open style just to freeze my face when I can be toasty warm in my fullface. Help me out here guys/girls.....What am I missing here?

·
Super Moderator
11,679 Posts
They are more 'free'...if you will. I occassionally felt somewhat confined when using my fullface. The MX style is open...which equals less confined. My field of vision seems better with the MX and goggles as well...

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Also, when it's really sunny out, the brim of the MX style helps block the sun. Just by dipping the helmet a bit, you can ride into the sun and not get totally blinded. I like my MX style when it's warmer, the full face when it's overcast and cold.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I've always worn full face helmets when riding motorcycles so it seemed natural to use one for snowmobiling. Some people complain that they are heavier. They probably are a little but you get used to it. It also keeps the noise level down as well. My son wears a MX style, said it was cooler. He was right, he always complains about his nose being cold. Hurts to be cool!!

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
I just made the big switch back to MX. My issue was most of the same. I like the feeling of being open a little. I had a BRP modular and there was not a lot of bad for it. I actually got a little too warm some times. I bought the snow flap for my goggles and I have had no issues so far as far as a cold nose. If for some reason I ever make it to some where with wide open trails like Tug Hill or Canada where speeds are high for long periods of time I think I may wear my Modular for that. I can see driving 70 for a long period of time and getting a touch cold.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have both types of helmets, I wear the mx style now all the time. My goggles never fog, and if the sunlight conditions change, I just change goggles. If you go out west and get your sled stuck, the full face will fog up. imo

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
They are a little lighter and never fog. You can see a little bit more too. But they are coulder and louder so taek that into consuderation. I have a breath guard on mine and I wear a face mask, and I have never gotten frostbite.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
I wear a full face and a moto.

When it was cold sunday I wore my full face, It was colder on the chin than my moto, but I get aliitle air flow on my face by my goggles with the moto.

I think I need a neoprene type face mask.

It is more of a rider prefrance.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I personally love the way a MX helmet looks. A MX helmet with dark lensed goggles looks so much more badass than any other style helmet.
Also, goggles dont fog up. Sure, you have that with your modular helmet and electric faceshield, but a MX helmet with goggles achieves that with much more simplicity.
In the end, its personal preference. I wore MX helmets since '99 and was very pleased with them. Goggles dont fog and as long as you have a helmet with a breathguard or wear a no-fog mask your face wont get cold.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Obviously I think people's interest is peaked because of snowcross and such, but there actual reasons why I'm glad for switching.

1. Field of view is SO much greater.
2. Fogging. With a closed helmet I ALWAYS had problems fogging up until my dad got me a heated visor one Christmas...then I sweat half to death.
3. Visor. If you ride close to someone who spins a lot, you're going to occasionally get some roost, which could contain rocks--or worse, studs--in it. With an MX you can just tip your head down and the visor blocks it.

If you have the skin around your goggles covered up you probably won't be any colder. A nose/breath guard is almost a must for riding at higher speeds, though.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
these responses are great! But I think I'll stick to my nice warm modular for our nice cold winters. lol
As for getting too warm.....I find that if I crack open the visor a little bit it keeps me comfortable. I guess it is really a rider preference. [BowDown]

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
i use full face only cause it gets to be like -30 here, and i thought a full would be warmer. but sounds like the helmet and goggles are warm too. i might need to look into one of those

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Originally posted by furrybushman
[br]these responses are great! But I think I'll stick to my nice warm modular for our nice cold winters. lol
As for getting too warm.....I find that if I crack open the visor a little bit it keeps me comfortable. I guess it is really a rider preference. [BowDown]
It is alot of rider preference, but one thing I have learned is that you have to try it in order to know for yourself. That goes all ways, whether module, full face, or Moto-X.

Things I've noticed with MX helmets.

Positive

1. Field of vision is improved greatly.
2. Less clausterphobic.
3. Little to no fogging with Breath deflector.
4. Seem lighter as well.
5. One helmet for summer and winter activities.

Negative

1. On really cold windy days it can get a little chilly around the eyes, but my baclava doesn't really fit right. (It has to be pretty cold, Below zero F and pretty windy.

I rarely get cold, usually my feet/hands are froze before my face even gets chilly and I have very little windshield.

I personally could never ride with a full face again, I have never tried the modulars.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
to all those that say an mx is cold. ITS NOT i have ridden in -39c. with the windchill putting it to -53c. and not once was i cold. i find that most people dont have a good balaclava on and poorly fitting goggles. some goggle fit better in some brands of mx helmets just due to the differnt design of them. only down side i have notice is increased wind noise while riding. but that i can live with.

cheers

·
Registered
166 Posts
for me i go with the mx style helmet. more air and blocks the sun. i have a jet black mx helmet with gold lenses on my googles and it looks really bad ass

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
i wear my mx helmet because it looks awesome and plus its the only helmet i have [V]

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Originally posted by furrybushman
[br]I wouldn't give it up for some open style just to freeze my face when I can be toasty warm in my fullface.
You are really not freezing your face. You are wearing goggles when you ride with the MX helmets on.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts