Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just came back from a weeks vacation up North on the sleds. Here is my problem, when I open it up I get a loud clunk or slapping noise comming from the chain case area.

It will clunk at almost each secondary clutch rotation but stop when it slows to 30mph.

I have not opened the case yet. Any suggestions to what it is?

90 Indy 650 Triple

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Wheres the snow? Any trails open? As far as the noise goes the chain is the weakest link. Hopefully for you thats all it is.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Chain, bearings, or both. The bearings in your chain case that support your driveshafts can wear out and actually move a little, creating enough slack in the chain to make it skip around on the gears. Not good! Take your chaincase apart asap and check it out. The longer you wait, the more it might cost to fix! If your chain is skipping, it could break, which usually gets jammed into the aluminum chain case and smashes a hole right through it. Don't let that happen, it could cost big $$$!

·
Registered
129 Posts
right on megaman....i found a pice of metal on my dipstick and...opened the chaincase to find a chain almost ready to break...glad i took a peak...ive seen those blown cases before....nasty!!!! $$$$$$$$$

·
Registered
15 Posts
my gears were out of vertical alignment so the chain was rubbing a groove around the lower 2/3 of the case. i guess i need some new shims on the bottom gear to pull her away??!! gonna replace the bearings on the drive shaft and case side of jackshaft on my xlt. it pays to look in there alot!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hotrod I was up in Timmins for the Holidays. Not as much snow as last year, however still got some riding in. I am off Tuesday, I will take the cover off and see what is happening.

CD

1 - 6 of 6 Posts