Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
RXL I believe my clutch alignment is off and would like to know if anyone has a trick to aligning the primary and secondary clutches with a alignment tool.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Take a bar that is the same width all the way accross, and long enough to go just past both clutches, take one of those things in Math sets (to draw circles), or the proper tool with a screw that opens, and closes the tool, set it from the bar, to the secondary clutch, don't change the adjustment, and go to the primary clutch.
Hope this helps, if you have anymore questions, or don't understand what I am saying just put another post.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Oh ya the bar has to be in the back of the clutches.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
If you do not have an alignment tool, then lay a straight-edge along the back side of both clutches and measure the offset distance. It should be 5/8" offset for most Polaris. However, if you have electric start with a drive gear on the back of the primary clutch, then the measurement may be different.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Its 1 inch of offset for Polaris clutches with the electric start gear on the back of the primary.

Like the other guys said, lay a straight edge on the back of the secondary sheave, so that the length of it reaches out towards the primary. From that edge (of the straight edge) to the back of the sheave on the primary is the offset measurement.

A quick check for center to center measurement is to take a tape measurerer (sp?) and put the tip of it on the center of the primary clutch's retaining bolt. Now pull the body of the tape straight back so that it extends beyond the retaining bolt of the secondary clutch. Now take a long nail or metal punch (anything long and thin) and put the tip of it on the center of the secondary clutch's retaining bolt so that it extends out perpendicularly over the tape. Where it crosses over the tape is your ROUGH clutch center to center measurement. Be sure to keep the tape straight back, and the nail straight out.

I've used this method on both Yamaha and Polaris clutches, then had them checked with the alignment tool. I've been just about dead on every time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts