Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm up to the point of aligning the clutches of my 97 XLT SP. I've got the large Polaris shop manual, but its a little vague in this area. It explains clutch offset and the specs, then how to do it, which I understand. Then it discusses clutch alignment, but doesn't seem to give any specs on it. I know that clutch alignment is basicly the primary/secondary center to center measurement. The manual says nothing about this center to center measurement. My sled has the electric start, so the clutch alignment/offset tool doesn't work, because of the large sprocket on the back of the primary that the starter engages. The engine can move forward and backwards on the engine mounts to adjust clutch alignment.

My sled has the chassis torque stop, which I also know how to adjust. So my question is, does anyone know the center to center measurement for my sled, so that I can align my clutches (NOT offset, I know how to do that). Thanks.

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I'll see how 12" lines up on it.

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

·
Registered
277 Posts
The distance between the center of the crankshaft and the center of the jackshaft is 12" for your sled. One thing most people dont check is alignment of the engine to the jackshaft. Make sure thay are square to one another, basically shafts straight and parallel. Offset is not a problem, check the owners manual. Good luck.

'HAMMER DOWN !!'

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great, thanks again! I might be riding Sun if we get the storm they're predicting for my area.

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts