Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know a shortcut to align the primary and secondary clutch without the special alignment tool. I've got a 98 zl500 and am looking to get the alignment and offset fixed. I can visibly see that the secondary is not parallel with the primary.
Thanks

·
Registered
206 Posts
If you've got a manual for your sled it should indicate the required off-set. Then use a straightline to measure the off-set. I just used a narrow short piece of wood and marked of 5/8" (my off-set) then placed it behind the secondary and made sure the mark lined up with the back of the primary. Seemed to work fine for me.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hmmm ... dyslanium crystals won't work here, will they? ...

My manual states that a straight bar (composition of bar not stated) should be used to measure pulley alignment. Indy5 is right, you should use a manual as it will have all of the required specs, including the order of adjustments (track tension and alignment first, pulleys second, etc.).

Good luck

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the service manual and it says to use a special alignment bar sold by Arctic Cat for checking parallelism and offset. The only specs given are measurements from the drive clutch inner sheave to the bar. The alignment bar sits against the outside of the driven pulley and takes two 90 degree turns and rests on the center of the drive pulley. I should be able to get the parallelism done with a straight edge, but without specs, I won't be able to check the offset. If someone knows what my offset should be with respect to some detailed reference points on the primary and secondary I can probably do it without the special tool, otherwise I'm going to have to fork out some bucks.
Thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts