Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive picked up a 97 AC EXT 580 EFI DELUXE. I am trying to get the clutch off to replace the crank seals. The clutch bolt screws out, just when you think it will come out, it just stays near the edge of the hole and spins with a little resistance at a certain spot, and it will not come out. I grab it with a needlenose pliers, and pull on it but it just wont come out, and wont unscrew, it just spins in place. Does anyone know whats going on in there? Im thinking maybe the lock washer got squished and is hitting the sides of the hole. I can not really get a good grip on it with anything, the bolt hardly sticks out at all. the bolt rattles around except when I spin it to the point where there is a little resistance. This situation aggrevates me immensly. Any Ideas? Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,987 Posts
Rock the bolt left&right, and up&down, and if the washer is catching it'll break loose.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The edge of the bolt is only about .5mm away from the side of the hole, so I can not rock it much at all. Im screwed, Im gonna have to drill and tap the bolt to screw a smaller bolt in and use that to pull it out. What a Pita.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
844 Posts
Small pair of needle-nosed vise-grips.
There is a neoprene spacer in the clutch that the bolt is
hanging up on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,264 Posts
That happened to me on my 1999 ZR 500 a few years ago. I was like "Damn Im Screwed". Then I thought of the "brilliant" idea to heat the area up....it came right out[:D]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
what did you heat it up with. Why did it come out when you heated it up?
Do you know what caused it to hang up?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
140 Posts
like cat-sass said, there is a neoprene spacer on those, it is hanging up on that and if you heat it with a heat gun, do not use an open flame, it will soften the spacer and you should be able to pull it out. and when you put it back together get a new spacer... you will have to heat the shaft in between the sheaves and spin the clutch so you heat evenly all the way around.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
15,519 Posts
cat-sass said:
Small pair of needle-nosed vise-grips.
There is a neoprene spacer in the clutch that the bolt is
hanging up on.
Yep.. and there are pictures of it all over the forum. I think I took pictures of it with a mirror once and posted about it. But the OP of this thread BONES isn't listening.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great Idea CatSass, thats all it took. Needle nose vise grips. I finally found them under all my crap, worked like a charm. there was just enough of the bolt to get a grip on.[thumb]

arcticcatmatt said:
cat-sass said:
Small pair of needle-nosed vise-grips.
There is a neoprene spacer in the clutch that the bolt is
hanging up on.
Yep.. and there are pictures of it all over the forum. I think I took pictures of it with a mirror once and posted about it. But the OP of this thread BONES isn't listening.
I listen to all of them, even if they are jack asses.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
844 Posts
Glad it worked for you.[thumb]
First time I had to fight with one,<(not what I wanted to say,
but it is a family friendly site) was before all this info was available
to me on the internet.
Once removed, I've never put one back in!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
cat-sass said:
Glad it worked for you.[thumb]
First time I had to fight with one,<(not what I wanted to say,
but it is a family friendly site) was before all this info was available
to me on the internet.
Once removed, I've never put one back in!!!
Do you mean you didnt put the spacer back in? I was thinking about not putting it back in either. Does it need to be in there?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,264 Posts
Your manufacturer put it in there for a reason[thumb]. Glad you got it out of there.

For future references, I used a little electric heater to heat the clutch area up. It took about 20 minutes, but it worked.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top