Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking that my clutch is engaging too high in the RPM range on my '96 Indy Ultra SKS (680 cc triple) The clutx=ch is engaging around 5000-5500 RPM and seems to be fully engaged around 7500-8000. The primamry clutch (stock polaris) has a purple spring in it and the sled has about 750 milrs on it. Is this too high of RPM for it??? I ride both on the trails as well as out in the wide open....

What do you guys think???

Also what's the optimium opperating RPMs on this engine and how high is too high for it?? Seems like wih my current clutch setup I'm always at 7-9k... too high????? Am I going to burn up the engine??

Last question is that I see oil coming out around the exhaust manifold.... The rest of the engine is totaly clean.... Is this something I should worry about???

Thanks for your input fellas!!!

HS

·
Registered
699 Posts
For the oil coming out of the exaust manifold that is pretty normal because what happens when your engine is running the oil in your gas is not getting ignited and burned all the way leaving a little still in the engine and when it comes time to let that burned mix of oil gas and air to leave the cylinders that little bit of oil still in there goes in to the exaust and then leaks out where your pipe conjoines with your manifold

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
if all you do is spin than it can come down, do you like it there, and just think its high? if a purple spring is stock than the dealer can look at the charts to see what spring would give you the same shift but lower the engagement.

under the hood you should see a sticker that tells you what rpm to see on the tach. im guessing around 8300-8500

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As far as preformance on the current clutch setup there's no bogging and it hooks right up with a killer hole shot...... It's just when rideing slow or slowly accelerating from a stop (like when you're picking your way thru some thick forest or tight trail) the engine is just screaming to keep it engaged (5500ish).

What changes on the high end when you have your clutch engages at a lower RPM?

It sure sounds like there is alot of power still down in the 4-4500 RPM range so I'd think it would still hook up beautifuly with no bogging.

Thanks for the reply on the oil at the manifold.... I guess there's nothing to worry about...I guess with all the temp extremems the manifod goes thru it hard to maintain a seal there...

The only stickers under the hood are refering to suspension setups and nothing about the engine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 96 ultra sp that engages at 4200 rpm (dark blue primary spring) and shifts out at 8200 rpm. Absolutly no bogging and is very happy running tight trails at the lower rpm. Although not an sks and riding conditions are probably different than yours I have run it whith higher engagement and also did not like being in the throttle so much to maintain engagement in tight trails. You did not mention if yours is single or triple pipe. Mine is single (stock)if yours is not than the comparison may not be valid.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've since cleaned both the primary and secondary and now I'm gettin engagement around 4200 and it's at about 8500-8700 wide open..... I'm likeing it alot better. I've got the stock single pipe too.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What i id was popped it off, and took it apart. cleaned it with Brake Ckeaner, then sprayed down the moving parts with this commet clutch lube (a dry lube), bought some new buttons, an put it all back together again.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Petrolium based solvents (brake cleaner etc..) are not recommended. Use soap and hot water. The hotter the better. Check out the The tech article on SLP's web site tittled "Put the squeeze on your belt". It covers this and some other good info on clutches.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts