Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 96 XCR 600 with a 92 650 engine in it. Clutch engagement is way low at about 2000 RPM.

It had an old blue spring in the primary clutch. I thought it might have gotten weak so I replaced it with a brand new blue spring. Engagement is still 2000 rpm. I have cleaned/checked the weights and "pins" and they seem fine. The rest of the clutch seems ok too.

The weights are 10MB's. I had this blue spring/10MB weight combo on a Indy 500 years ago. On that sled engagement was about 4800 to 5000. I thought maybe the belt was incorrect and potentially that was causing the problems. The belt is a Polaris 3211070 - near as I can tell, that should work well for this sled.

This one really has me stumped. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what else I should try to cure this low engagement issue?

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Stock parts on the 1992 650 was a blue spring, 10AL wieghts (53grams), and a 1042 belt. Can't remember what the difference is between the 1042 and the 1070 but I think they are interchangeable (don't quote me though). However, the 10MB weights are 47.5 grams. clutching parts that work good one motor type of motor have a very different effect on a different motor. Try 10AL weights and see where it puts you at.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
lower gram weights will give a lower engagement.

That being said I have no clues about polaris.

From what polaris parts mn & you have said I would suggest what he did.

I assume you want a higher engagement then stock, meaning you would have to go with a stiffer spring and heavier weight set up. Or just a heavier spring.

One thing to remember is mark your clutches with a sharpie or marker and go for a ride. Hold it WOT for some time and stop. Look at the marks you have made and you can see where the belt is riding. You want the belt to be close to the top of the clutches, but still should have some marker left there.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
less weight means higher rpms if all else is the same.

check side clearance on the belt i dont really care what it is just as long as when the engine off you can grab the belt and see room between its side and the primary sheaves.

when you did the motor swap did you get your center to center correct for the belt you are using?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
i agree with polaris part mn you need the heavier weights

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
madcow said:
less weight means higher rpms if all else is the same.

check side clearance on the belt i dont really care what it is just as long as when the engine off you can grab the belt and see room between its side and the primary sheaves.

when you did the motor swap did you get your center to center correct for the belt you are using?
Madcow makes a good point. Is the center to center right?

·
Registered
393 Posts
The width and length of the 042 and 1070 belts are the same.If thats the belt it calls for then 12"center to center is what your clutches should be at.Also as Madcow said if the belt side clearance in the primary is not there its gonna engage very early or if your clutches are out of alignment.I can,t see the engagement being that much different from one machine to the other.I wouldn,t go buying weights just yet imho

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
i have seen broken primary springs do this.

someone swaping weights around from one machine to the other, meaning way to much weight in clutch.

secondary clutch set wrong making belt way to tight.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts