Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '00 600 touring that I ot last year, drive all winter as is except for replacing all the fron end joints and bushings. Clutch from what I could tell was fine, started kicking in around 4500 rpm and I could creep along at low speed or fly down the road. What could I check in the clutchs before winter starts and the sleep has about 9000 miles on it. I am unsure of any past repairs or maintenance on it.

Thanks

·
Registered
463 Posts
well theres alot of good topics on here about clutch maintanence.

but i'd start with a complete disassembly (requires a few specialty tool, spider wrench and jam nut socket) and a thorough cleaning, just use soap and hot water to clean you clutches. dont use any chemicals that will leave behind a residue. and do not lube any part of the clutches !!

after cleaning i'd start with the primary, check the condition of the spider buttons and thier clearence inside the towers! make sure the primary spring is still within spec. make sure you weights move freely on thier pins, check the inside of the sheaves for pits, wear, and grooves. check the sheave bushings for excessive slop.

secondary- completely disassemble and clean, i can almost guarantee the helix buttons a shot, check the helix ramps for excessive wear, check the sheave bushings for slop, and again check the sheaves for pits, grooves, etc

you will pleasently suprised how your sled runs when the clutches are properly maintained! it can be a huge improvement to just clean them. i clean my clutches every 500mi and rebuild almost every year! and its totally worth it!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts