Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's my issue - I was out riding yesterday, and I noticed a funny noise coming from the clutch at low RPM. Once the engine got wound up it went away. I stopped for lunch and figured I would swap belts - the spare wasn't any better than the one that was already on there, but I figured a cooler belt would maybe help. Well, the sled ran awesome (no noise) for about 10 miles. I stopped to take a break, and when I went to take off the primary clutch moved in to grab the belt, but the belt just slipped on the clutch and the sled wouldn't move at all. I took the belt off and put it on my sister's XLT, and it (the XLT) ran fine with that old belt on it.

So, I can buy a new belt and put it on the XCR to see if that helps, but I think I have more serious issues. What could my problem be? - drive clutch spring, clutch alignment, or something more serious? I do not have much clutch work experience, so I am not really sure how to diagnose it. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Did you check the belt deflection, and yes you should check for alignment. When another belt is put back, it should stick out the secondary about 1-8 inch. Check the center-center measurement. Did you have the owners manual, all those specs are print in! Could also be a bearing somewhere. take the secondary in your hand and try to rotate it. Is it hard to? Hope it helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts