Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a Erlandson Performance Trail Performance clutch kit on my XLT SP. Due to the lack of snowfall in NE Pennsylvania I was not able to take the sled out yet. With the track raised off the ground the clutch engages at 5600 rpm. The belt that I have on the machine now is worn so I do not know if that will make a difference? Does this high of an engagement sound about right? Also does anyone know what the stock weights are for the 96 XLT SP?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Howdy burban...

Other than the clutch kit, is the rest of your sled stock? 5600 seems a bit high for a stock sled. Even for a piped XLT, 5600 might even be high.

What parts came with the clutch "kit"?

My master repair manual only goes up to 1995, so just for reference the stock 1995 weights are the 10M (bushed) which weigh 49.5 grams +/- 1.

And replace that belt. It will make a difference.......Dan

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have a 95 XLT Special with shaved heads, performance head gasket, SLP triple pipes, a clutch kit and a stiffer secondary spring. This engages at about 5200 rpm and shifts out at about 8400 spm at 136 mph. 5600 rpm must be a really strong spring and i bet that pulls you right off the line. Mine is fast enough for me!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bowhunter,
The sled is all stock except that I put in a new beefier crank from Polaris and got the sled bored .20 over with Wiseco pistons. I bought a new belt today, and I think that is going to make the difference. The newer belt is about an 1/8 of an inch wider... The clutch kit came with a new helix, and 2 new springs. The weights that I am using I believe are 10 ML. I also have 10 M5's but they are in another clutch. Do you happen to know the difference with these two weights?

Thanks..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi burban..

Let's start out with the weights. The 10 M5's are the same as the stockers. 49.5g +/- 1g. The 10 ML's are not listed in my book. Maybe someone else around here has their weight. Anyone?

Not knowing the specs on the helix and springs, my guess is that the kit is more for a piped sled and not really for a "stocker". I'm not real informed when it comes to Erlandson parts so I may be wrong. Do they have a website?

Without some on-the-snow tests, clutching at this point is only speculation.

My suggestion is to install the kit as per the instructions. Then get her on the trail, see how it goes. Then we can dial it in from there.

Dan

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dan,

Yeah I guess that that is the best bet to get it out on the snow. I just have to get some here first. If worse comes to worse I will just put the 10 M5's in my new clutch.

Thanks,
Bob

·
Registered
278 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by Skrplyr23:

I have a 95 XLT Special with shaved heads, performance head gasket, SLP triple pipes, a clutch kit and a stiffer secondary spring. This engages at about 5200 rpm and shifts out at about 8400 spm at 136 mph. 5600 rpm must be a really strong spring and i bet that pulls you right off the line. Mine is fast enough for me!

[/quote]

What kind of gearing are you running? I have a Polaris gearing chart (Indy Jackshaft Speed vs Miles per hour chart) in front of me right now. The tallest gearing they list is a 20/33 gear combo and at 8400 RPMS that tops out at 107.9 MPH. To get kind of top end you must be running really tall gears. I would think that your low end would be terrible.

RtkatZL8
2001 ZL800
Delta IIs
Power Breather
MBRP Silencer

1 - 7 of 7 Posts