Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, Im just wondering if a Clutch Kit is really worth the 200 and some dollars that Im going to spend on it. I have a 98 XLT Limited and I'm trying to get more out of it, any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
a clutch kit will be worth it because it will get ya more power to the track. i noticed a big difference on sleds from just playing with clutching

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the evolved chassis so I don't believe that any Triple Pipes will fit into this hood, I REALLY want them though.

Clutch Kit I am looking into is the EPI. Erlandson Performance.

·
Registered
277 Posts
EPI knows how to clutch Polaris sleds. I have talked to Chad Erlandson several times and the guy is super. He will take the time to make sure you have the right kit for your type of riding. Instead of buying a $180.00 trail kit from EPI, heres an option. Buy a Erlandson red spring for you primary (145-300 lb.), this is the recommended high engagement spring from EPI for your sled ($17.95). You will get great holeshots with this compared to your stock dark blue Polaris spring (120-300 lb.). Buy a yellow EPI secondary spring (46-71 lb.), this is the one recommended for your sled by EPI also ($17.95). Then you can either buy a 42-36 helix ($69.95) or ask Erlandson what helix they would recommend for your type of riding and there is your clutch kit for $106.00. You just saved $74.00 on EPI's clutch kit. Good luck.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys...
How much of an improvement do these clutch kits really give anyways? Very noticable or just not much? The reason I am asking this is because one of my friend says "No, dont waste your money" but I think thats because he doesn't wanna lose.. [8D]

·
Registered
506 Posts
it'll totally bring your sled to life, night and day generally. they're generally clutched fairly conservativly from the factory, trying to semi-please everyone

just make sure that when U order your clutch kit, they ask you your weight, rideing style etc. otherwise you'll not see much gain. but ya, if you clutch the sled for you body weight, rideing style, engine displacement etc... it can make a HUGE difference

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
The difference on some sleds is unbelievable, get a clutch kit.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
What size is your sled.

·
Registered
277 Posts
96 studs minimum for trail riding. If you want some serious traction for the occational drag, go with 120 to 144. To few studs is just as bad as too many, but you risk the chance of ripping your track. I've seen it many a time on sleds that have only a few studs and the guy riding it spins like crazy until a stud rips out. Then its too late. I had 144 in my old 93 XLT special. The sucker hooked up great when it was stock and with pipes.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks MAYDAZE you seem to help me out alot here, I owe ya one bud!
And all you other guys too...

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
If you go with 96 studs, just be sure to only run them up the middle. Don't spread them out by putting them in the middle belt and the outside ones.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts