Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into buying a clutch kit, but not sure what to get. I have found that there are different stages, so to say. I've been looking at the EPI trail kit for $150. My riding consists of mainly aggressive trail riding but sometimes I like to putts along. I still want to be able to have a nice slow relaxing ride. What kit would you guys recomend?
Also are there any special tools required for installation?

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Tools - you should use a clutch puller, clutch holding tool, ring clip pliers. that's all I used on my Polaris clutches.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
I actually put in my kit without removing the drive clutch.
It was a little tricky, but I don't have a puller.
I did obviously take the driven clutch off to put the helix and spring in.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
you don't need all those tools to put the kit in. Only need a socket set and a snap ring pliers. There is no need to remove clutch.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
I've heard a bunch of guys that have EPI kits that are happy with them. Actually, the only guys I know with them have posted replies on this site. Why they aren't replying? I don't know. Maybe change Topic Title to "EPI clutch kit?" I have a Goodwin Performance clutch kit. Works awesome and gave impressive power gains for my sled. They're local guys here in IL and if you're interested I can give you their number. Very honest, reputable, and respectable bunch of guys over there.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Call EPI and ask for Chad Erlandson. If he is there and available, he will talk to you. Tell him what you are looking for in your sled and your type of riding. He will ask you all kinds of questions to get you the proper clutch set up instead of some generic packaged set up. For the absolute best set up, everything needs to be taken in to account. Rider weight, studded or not, modified or stock, trail riding or lake blasting, gearing, etc.... This is what Chad will ask you and you can give him all the details to get the set up that is right for you. Some other clutching companies will do the same, but EPI knows Polaris. They are a time-tested company that will stand behind their products. Give it a try.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
^Yep, sounds exactly like Jeff Goodwin over at Goodwin Performance. Anybody that gets that in depth and personal with the rider of the sled their product is going into HAS to know what they're doing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts