Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a fully stock '98 Indy 500 (nearly 6000 miles). Am rebuilding the clutch this summer (rollers, bushings, etc) and am considering adding a performance clutch kit (eg. new primary and 2ndary spring and new helix). Looking at EPI's trail performance offering.

Anyone have any experiece with these. Good or bad. Was it worth the investment. Did it make a noticable improvement in terms of acceleration, control etc... Any other ideas.

Look forward to your comments.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I personally would waste my money on a clutch kit. I figured out a perfectly good clutch setup all by myself just by buying polaris parts. I'm only 17 years old and i can do it.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
The EPI components are great. But you pay extra if you purchase their already put together clutch kits. Go to their site and order their free catalogue. Once you get that you can buy the individual components and make your own kit for much less denaro.

That's what I did to my sled. To answer you question, the new springs make a HUGE difference in low end and mid range. Its probably the biggest gain for the least amount of money you can do for your sled.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great, that's what I was hoping to hear.

I've read on here before of people that have friends or know of other that have tried them and liked it, but wanted to get some first hand experience.

I have the EPI catalogue, although I haven't priced out the individual components. Surprised though to hear that it would be more and not less for the kits.

What did you add, two springs and new helix?

Don't think I want to get into fooling with the weights just yet.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Yeah I put on a new primary and secondary spring. I'll be adding a new muli angle helix this fall to complete the kit. I didn't touch the weights. With this spring combo, the power and rpm's are right where they should be. If I wanted more low end snap, I could of gotten a stiffer primary spring, but then I think I would of had to change the weights out. I think the kits are more expensive because they have to put them together, they also come with directions and a sticker, blah, blah, blah. More handling and packaging I guess.

Anyways, I'm not looking to be tunning the clutch every time I ride. I just wanted something that would improve the low end and mid range, this set up gives me that, and makes all the difference in the world performance wise.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I put an EPI clutch kit in my 92 Indy 500. Big difference, pulls hard. I liked the idea of purchasing a kit that was tested for my sled, no guessing, I'm not a tuner and wanted it to go right the first time. It was a good experience. [8D]

·
Registered
227 Posts
Indy5,
I use to have a '96 indy500 pretty much the same sled as you. I added a Polaris blue spring in the primary $14, a polaris red secondary spring in the #3 hole $12, and a 40-36 helix $50.
The little indy 500 woke right up, 4300rpm engagement and I think peak rpm at wfo was 7600. Give it a try
j-2-800

1 - 8 of 8 Posts