Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When ever the sled is idling the primary clutch starts squealing. I know it isn't the belt because that would make a different noise. I've never heard this on a sled before.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Sounds to me like the belt is too tight. How much deflection do you have? how much of the belt is sitting above the secondary clutch?

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Originally posted by snake61047
[br]When ever the sled is idling the primary clutch starts squealing. I know it isn't the belt because that would make a different noise. I've never heard this on a sled before.
You and me both. I've been too busy to get into it. But it appears I'll have time tonight. I believe my issue is with the spacing - I need to shim differently. I just don't know how this could have gotten messed up. Do I need any special tools (besides a clutch puller) to pull the primary apart?

Bryan

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bryan,

Once I get my ultra up again we need to go riding. WE can show my buddy what two tripples can do to a phazer!

As for the noise it sounds like it is coming from inside the clutch but I'll check the belt again today.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Hey, I'm in! How is the snow by you?
Think you'll have it done by this weekend?

If you turn the engine over by hand with the clutch - does the belt squeek? That's what mine is doing. It shifts smooth, but it just squeeks at an idle, and a little tiny bit of throttle. Really annoying. And my belt sits about 1/8 inch above the secondary which is where it's supposed to be.

You know what, I think my clutch is sticking. I don't think it's the shims. I'll get into it tonight I hope.

Bryan

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Don't worry about the height above the secondary. You need to place a staight edge on the belt and press down inbetween the clutches and then measure what you have, should be 1 1/2".

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hope to have it done. The gasket set is going to get here tomorrow but now I'm not sure if its the o-ring or the waterpump. I hope it isn't the pump. I'm out of money for two weeks!

·
Registered
502 Posts
Originally posted by snake61047
[br]WE can show my buddy what two tripples can do to a phazer!
i can't wait to get my modded 500 twin going.. i know a few people with phazer's/exciters that i wouldn't mind leaving in the dust lol..

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Well we'd have a few things going for us. They're triples, about 200 CCs, and they're POLARIS. Anyone know how heavy a phazer is? I'm not sure on the weight but on the pick-one-up meter they feel almost as heavy as my Aggressive chassis XCR!

Are we talking the new Phazer, or the old pogo-stick front end ones?

Bryan

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Originally posted by xcr440
[br]Don't worry about the height above the secondary. You need to place a staight edge on the belt and press down inbetween the clutches and then measure what you have, should be 1 1/2".
Eh, bingo - I can barely fit my finger between the straight edge and the belt. Little tight huh? Here's my question. I put a new PTO on the sled (I bought it broken), and just put everything back the way it should be. Now how the heck did this guy ride it like this? Or did I mess up the torque arm when I put it back together possibly? Or should I just adjust the 2ndary so I have enough?

Thanks XCR - I owe ya a beer.

Bryan

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Adjust the ring on the secondary, To give you the 1 1/2" deflection. The stop should be finger tight against the motor also.

I'm having a high life right now...

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I just adjusted it - it appears that it's been adjusted before. There were marks in the ring from where the stops hit it before. Now that I think of it - I know exactly what happened. When the PTO snapped it probably took the belt with it. And when I got it I put his extra (read brand new) belt on, hence the difference. It's much better now. I do need to get the correct tools to take a primary apart - I plan on being a Polaris guy for a real long time.

On a side note - not sure I'll be up there for New Year's this year. BUT, my aunt is coming to pick up some sleds the 13th. I need to go up there and pick up the trailer sometime after that. I'll be bringing my sleds up there to ride (hard to explain how i'm doing this without the trailer). She lives somewhere near Rhinelander, which is pretty clost to you. So when you guys have snow after the 13th, let me know. We can do some riding for sure, and I'll buy you a beer then.

Bryan

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm talking old school phazers. I Can't wait to mod my exciter!!!

·
Registered
502 Posts
i actually just had a guy last night try to give me a phazer with no motor and no seat..complete sled otherwise, just needed the seat, motor and skis but i said no..

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Originally posted by ibreakstuff
[br]I just adjusted it - it appears that it's been adjusted before. There were marks in the ring from where the stops hit it before. Now that I think of it - I know exactly what happened. When the PTO snapped it probably took the belt with it. And when I got it I put his extra (read brand new) belt on, hence the difference. It's much better now. I do need to get the correct tools to take a primary apart - I plan on being a Polaris guy for a real long time.

On a side note - not sure I'll be up there for New Year's this year. BUT, my aunt is coming to pick up some sleds the 13th. I need to go up there and pick up the trailer sometime after that. I'll be bringing my sleds up there to ride (hard to explain how i'm doing this without the trailer). She lives somewhere near Rhinelander, which is pretty clost to you. So when you guys have snow after the 13th, let me know. We can do some riding for sure, and I'll buy you a beer then.

Bryan
Let me know when... I usually ride around suger camp/three lakes every now and then.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by Racing666
[br]i actually just had a guy last night try to give me a phazer with no motor and no seat..complete sled otherwise, just needed the seat, motor and skis but i said no..
I want!!!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts