Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i dont think my primary and secondary clutcheds are aligned. the reason i think this is because when i took my drive belt off it had a unuasaly wear pattern on it one side worn more than the other. this year i put a brand new comet clutch on it also. any pointers on how i could align them again would help

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
There are spec measurements for the clutches, so that they are in alignment. There is one measurement for clutch offset (between the inside primary sheave and the inside secondary sheave). Then there is also the center to center measurement between the retaining bolts of both clutches.

If you don't have these measurements yet, I can get them for you once I check my shop manual.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Even though they look offset (and probably are), the offset NEEDS to be to the spec measurement, or else its going to give you all sorts of trouble from blown belts, to loss of performance.

To measure offset, you can either get one of those tools for your specific sled, or use what I do. I just take a long metal straight edge (its actually a large metal measuring square), and rest one end of it flat against the outside of the inside secondary sheave......hope that makes sence.

Then you measure from the edge of the other end of the straight edge (which is up by the primary clutch) to the outside of the inside sheave of the primary.

This offset measurement will be in your shop manual. I think its some where around one inch of offset. Its kind of hard to put this all into words, so I hope you can get the picture of what I'm trying to describe.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts