1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Story:

488 Fan,
stock Rxl secondary,
Primary is as close to stock as I could get with the good parts that I had.
cant remember 100% but I think 54gr weights red or red/w spring.

Sled engages around 3000 3200 rpm, pulls good to almost 7000 and does 80-90km on the speedo with my son 155lbs. he said when he backs off the gas the sled just kind of coasts till about 40ish kph then starts to slow faster.
This is backshift right???
The primary is not fully shifted out. we marked the sheve and there is still 1/2" (.517")of the mark still there.
What is the easist and cheepest way to correct this??? his sled his budget...lol
Anything that should be changed in the secondary??
He is super happy with the sled...these are my concerns.

As always Thank You All.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rainman56 said:
What year is the sled?Let me know I,ll see what I can do.
1988 488fc
1991 secondary clutch (stock RXL)

thanks

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
You need the proper helix and sping in the secondary for the 488 engine. The RXL had a total different power band and operating RPM than the 488.

·
Registered
393 Posts
The RXL secondary if stock is the same as the trail.Should be a 34 degree helix with a red spring probally in the second hole.Your primary should have a red/white primary spring 100-220 with #10 weights-51.5grams if its stock calibration.Check and make sure this is what you have.If you in fact do get the clutches cleaned up and checked...bushings,rollers,buttons etc.If somethings different from stock then change accordingly.Might still want to go through the clutches while your at it though.let me know how you make out.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rainman56 said:
The RXL secondary if stock is the same as the trail.Should be a 34 degree helix with a red spring probally in the second hole.Your primary should have a red/white primary spring 100-220 with #10 weights-51.5grams if its stock calibration.Check and make sure this is what you have.If you in fact do get the clutches cleaned up and checked...bushings,rollers,buttons etc.If somethings different from stock then change accordingly.Might still want to go through the clutches while your at it though.let me know how you make out.
thanks.
secondary is stock RXL and when I looked them up I thought they were the same.
What effect does hole position have in the secondary?
In the primary we have red/w spring and #10 (I think) will conferm tomorrow

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Still sounds to me like you have issues in the secondary clutch. Maybe the spring is just worn out, buttons worn out, bushings worn out, or maybe someone has changed the internals in it before you got your hands on it?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
TriumphoverU said:
Still sounds to me like you have issues in the secondary clutch. Maybe the spring is just worn out, buttons worn out, bushings worn out, or maybe someone has changed the internals in it before you got your hands on it?
Could be a worn out spring maybe...secondary was gone through and worn parts were replaced 3yrs. ago (but not the spring) then sled was parked with about 100 miles on it.

So what's the effect of hole position's in the secondary?

·
Registered
393 Posts
71rdrnr said:
TriumphoverU said:
Could be a worn out spring maybe...secondary was gone through and worn parts were replaced 3yrs. ago (but not the spring) then sled was parked with about 100 miles on it.

The holes position is to put more torsional spring tension for more backshift and possibly slow the upshift somewhat.Generally you want to go a low a number as possible(usually 2 in general on stock sleds) and still retain good backshift.More than the necessary tension=more sqeeze than necessary and therefore less efficiency.Also what is your belt clearance in the primary?Should try to get it around .020.If your belt clearance is to much it may not shift the belt out all the way.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok the weights are heaver...they are 10-54's.

·
Registered
393 Posts
71rdrnr said:
Ok the weights are heaver...they are 10-54's.
1321526 is the part number for the 10 weights.Going to the lower weights will also bring up your engagement a bit.That sled should be good for around 80MPH if I remember correctly.Might as well throw in a new primary spring as well.Let us know how it works out for ya.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Rainman56 said:
71rdrnr said:
TriumphoverU said:

The holes position is to put more torsional spring tension for more backshift and possibly slow the upshift somewhat.Generally you want to go a low a number as possible(usually 2 in general on stock sleds) and still retain good backshift.More than the necessary tension=more sqeeze than necessary and therefore less efficiency.Also what is your belt clearance in the primary?Should try to get it around .020.If your belt clearance is to much it may not shift the belt out all the way.
just checked the belt clearence and it looks way over spec....like around .125"

·
Registered
393 Posts
71rdrnr said:
Rainman56 said:
71rdrnr said:
TriumphoverU said:
Make sure you check it with a new belt.If its still that much clearance you,ll have to take some shims out from the spider but you,ll need special tools to do it.If you don,t have them I,d recommend taking it to a reputable shop and have them do it,might as well change anything worn,bushings,rollers,etc while you have it apart.
just checked the belt clearence and it looks way over spec....like around .125"
Make sure to check it with a new belt.if the clearance is still that much you,ll have to remove some shilms under the spider.If you don,t have to tools to do it I,d take it to a reputable shop and have them do it.Might as well check it over and do a complete rebuild if it needs bushings,rollers,buttons etc.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, thanks for all your help and advice...
Merry Christmas...

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Found a good set of 10 weights at a friends...mine now. will swap them soon and see how she goes

1 - 15 of 15 Posts