Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just went out for the weekend, road my dads 95 XLT 600 sp and it was running great all weekend, the track wouldn't hook up, but thats beside the point, but i got back to the truck last and went to load it onto my friends deck and it started to climb the ramp and all of a sudden the belt just start smokin and the sled stopped and it pretty much melted the belt. The belt had three rides on it from last year. Any ideas on why it would do this? The secondary clutch was really clean and smooth like it should be and the primary was really good except for the fact it now has melted belt on it. the belt also never came apart, it even feels and looks normal. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Just a thought, but if you were driving it on to the trailer too slow, the runner on you ski may of snagged something on the trailer. If this happened, and you got stuck, you could of just simply smoked the belt.

The other thought is it may of been a combination of this and the fact that your clutches may need adjustment or to be rebuilt. Check to see if alignment and offset are in spec and go from there.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Put the track off the ground and see if you can move the track with the secondary clutch (by hand). You may have busted a drive chain and it's all wadded up in the case.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I think the secondary may be sticking this would account for a bad upshift which can cause a sled not to hook up it would also make the belt loose in the primary causing the slip. I would check the secondary clutch buttons and bushings and spring.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply, i will definately look into the secondary clutch, i'm positive that it wasn't just the ski catching on the ramp since my dad and i put puck board where the ski's go up. Thanks again for all the ideas.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, back to the drawing board for me. The chaincase is in excelent condition, same with both clutches. I lifted the back end and there was absolutely NO track movement, nor was there any slack, so i slacked the track off to about an inch, which if i remember correctly should be about right and now the track turns, but it still is quite hard to turn. I haven't put the driven clutch back on yet, so it isn't just the engine causing the track to have difficulties turning. All the boggies turn just fine also. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. Also, before i took it out, i checked the track tension and it was just fine, so i'm also wondering what would have made it tighten up like that. Unless my logic is really messed up, it shouldn't be able to tighten as easily as it should be able to loosen. Any and all feed back is very appreciated. Thanks again to all that replied before.
Scott

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
The nut that lock it up probably wasn't tight enough, and as for smoking the belt maybe the clutch was wet.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If the nut that locks the track tension in place wasn't tight enough, wouldn't that loosen the track though, not tighten it?

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Ya, it probably would loosen it, but it's worth it just to check it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts