Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1991 Polaris Indy Trail 500. Lately, the motor is bogging down when I punch the throttle. It used to be real responsive. I thought it might be the carbs, so I cleaned them and have noticed no improvement. A friend thinks it might be the clutching. Any suggestions? Could the new e-10 gas be causing this?

Thanks for your help!

Jerry

·
Registered
526 Posts
When was the last time your clutches where cleaned or rebuilt? If you cleaned your carbs and no change in condition then I would have to say it's the clutches. Could be a bad cdi also, does it miss at all or just bog?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It doesn't miss at all. Once the rpm's are up, she screams as usual. It just bogs when you first punch it or are trying to go up a steep hill and the rpms are low. Could this be plugs or gas?

If it is the clutch, I don't know much about them. Any suggestions on what to look for? Can they be cleaned without taking them apart? I understand you need a wheel puller to get the primary off. Are they difficult to work on/adjust?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
192 Posts
greyghost said:
It doesn't miss at all. Once the rpm's are up, she screams as usual. It just bogs when you first punch it or are trying to go up a steep hill and the rpms are low. Could this be plugs or gas?

If it is the clutch, I don't know much about them. Any suggestions on what to look for? Can they be cleaned without taking them apart? I understand you need a wheel puller to get the primary off. Are they difficult to work on/adjust?

Thanks for the help!
if you havent tried new plugs yet its deffinetally worth a shot. how long has it been since you have replaced the belt? it may be about time for a new one.. to clean the clutch you should take it off(you need a clutch puller for this, which is basically a big long bolt that threads into the clutch pushing it off of the shaft), take it apart and clean with hot soapy water, you should also check out the weights, rollers etc and make sure they are in good shape. but if you want to try something quick without taking it off, grab the air compressor and blow all the belt dust etc out of the clutch, although you really should take it apart and clean it up good. its really not hard to do once you try it..

·
Registered
33 Posts
mine was bogging. put new plugs in ,new belt. sync the carbs and that was way off and cleaned them at the same time and also the chokes were adjusted wrong cuzing a rich idle and also turn my idle air screws out a 1/4 turn more. that took almost all the bog out of mine

·
Registered
526 Posts
was just thinking about his some more.. had a 500 that the needles where leaking when the sled was not running and would bog mid range. After cleaning and pulling most of my hair out I pulled the block drain plugs under the exhaust and a small amount of fuel came out. I replaced the plugs and she ran top's after that. Replaced the needles and seats and got about 1000 miles on since with no bogging...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts