Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i have a 2002 z 440 sno pro and i'm having some trouble with it. The sled will start and idle fine. When you give it gas it revs up to 5000 rpms and then the clutch kicks in but then the sled will bog down after 5 feet and wont go anywhere and just bogs and smokes. but when you have the track lifted up off the ground it will run fine and wont bog down. so it seems that weight is an issue. i don't know if its the clutch or what it is so if anyone can help me out that would be great!

Thanks in advance-Jordan

·
Registered
203 Posts
dosent sound like an engine problem, maybe its the belt is dropping to the bottom of the secondary to fast, maybe spring tension? just a thought.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Sounds like your oil pump went out and is dumping oil into the motor. I fixed a guys sled last year with the same problem. most likely the oil pump.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
replace it.
its simple to do, i think. i dont know about artic cats oil pumps. or how they are attached. i am no help in that aspect. someone on here will know.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea im gunna have to check that out. It doesnt sound right that it would be the oil pump though because it runs fine when the track is of the ground. but i dont know.. I dont want to spend money on something if its the wrong thing. ya know... but ill still check it out.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Thats what it was on the xc 600 i fixed. it did the same thing. at about 6k rpm it would just bog and smoke and it was spitting a gray liquid out the exhaust.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
I have a collection of sleds ,,,my polaris ,have massive clutch kits and can grass drag with them no problem ,,,now my Arctic cats ,,both of them will do just like you are saying move a few feet and thats it ,,,on the snow run great

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
awesome news! today was a bit colder and i tried running my sled again and it ran great. really weird but im really excited!!!! Cant wait for snow to fall! i guess cats are just not meant for summer running

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
didn't think of that... your sled is just running rich because its warm. I have a tempaflow so I forget how jetting is[:D][:D]

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Also, the back shock on the sled needs rebuilt. Should i just get it rebuilt or are there any other options that arent to expensive that would make it better? Thanks guys

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Price out rebuilding and see if you can find a used one on ebay, etc. for cheaper. Someone here will pop up shortly and probably give you a better answer.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Im guessing because its a sno pro that aftermarket shocks are going to be a little pricy. I could be wrong. Do a search on this site, theres been a lot of talk on here over the years about shock rebuilding companys and you should be able to find someone to do it fairly cheap.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
SnoPro30 said:
Also, the back shock on the sled needs rebuilt. Should i just get it rebuilt or are there any other options that arent to expensive that would make it better? Thanks guys
In the minneapolis metro there are a few guys that advertise on CL for $20 or $25 for each Fox/Ryde FX rebuildable shock. If there are resevoirs, it is just a little bit more, usually like $35.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
granted the guys on CL are "home-business" they just do it out of the garage. I have had no complaints with the guy that's close to me. If you take it to any sort of powersports dealership or repair shop it will cost quite a bit more

1 - 18 of 18 Posts