Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well,

I'm stumped here.. I need some (any) advice or suggestions..

Here goes.. my sled tops out at 80MPH and revs out to about 8300RPM on the lake or rail bed, but on the ice it'll get to around 100MPH and run closer to 9000rpm where it should be..

I looking for last ditch efforts here.. nothing too expensive as the sled is going to be replaced shortly..

If you look at the primary clutch you can tell the belt ISN'T going all the way to the top..??

The problem started when I replaced the primary the old one was cracked..

I've tried lighter weights 10M Blue (47.5g) it seemed to help a bit.. I'm thinking about going to Whites (46g).. I went from a red spring in the secondary to a blue it's in the 2nd or 3rd can't remember. Also I replaced the belt, tried a couple different helix's.. The gears are 22 39.. But nothing seems to help.. It should rev 9-9200rpm, it will get's there short burps but not when you hold it..

Any thoughts on why it won't rev in the snow..?? I'm not talking like deep powder or anything either.. even hard packed has the same effect..?

Thanks in advance,
650indy

·
Registered
105 Posts
If you set up the new clutch the exact same way the old one was set up, it's not the clutch thats malfunctioning, unless of coarse you put it together wrong or something... not likely.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
what kind of pipes are you running that turn 9000-9200 for a trail sled, shouldnt you want to be in the 8300-8500 range? but if the rpms are true to be in that range lets get you there. the reason it will climb in mph and rpm on ice is the clutch is done shifting, and now you have enough hp left to start to rev up to a speed that tops out your hp. take the shim out of behind the helix, that will allow a little more room for shift out,
check the primary spring so it is not binding and you can put a little grease on the helix ramps to see if it is going all the way down.
if you go lighter wieghts it will increase your rpm but decrease your shift rate. i would put the heavier wieghts back in and go with less helix angle with the blue spring in position 2-4 until the rpms are met, try a straight 34, you can run your blue or red spring and this helix will give you great backshift with little spring pressure, and is a quick upshift helix also.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply madcow..

Originally posted by madcow
[br]what kind of pipes are you running that turn 9000-9200
They are Starting Line pipes I know they run at 9-9200rpm.. it's in the booklet.. here's a link http://www.slp.cc/instsheet/09-9_10.pdf

[br]check the primary spring so it is not binding
How do I check that..?

[br]try a straight 34
Forgot to mention that's what's in there now..

I will try taking the shim out and see how that goes.. Thanks again.. any more suggestions..?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts