Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem with the clutch on my RXL, when I give it full throttle from a standstill it will shift up too fast and engine will not reach the optimum revs,
then if I release the throttle and push it again immediately, it will backshift and give me more revs and actually pull.
I have a new spring in the primary clutch and a new Dayco belt but I haven't done much else to the clutches.
Is there anything in particular I should start checking?

· Registered
9,987 Posts
Did you use too light of a spring in the primary for the replacement?

If not, then look at the spring in the secondary.

Did you have this problem before you replaced the primary?

· Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Before I replaced the spring in the primary I had a broken spring in the primary so I don't really have a good comparison.
The spring I put in the primary is a red one from EPI, according to their catalogue a "high engagement" spring for this application.
Maybe I just need to take both clutches apart for cleaning and inspection.

· Registered
1,378 Posts
First thing that comes to mind when talking about broken springs in a primary, is bushings, next would be rollers. If your cover plate and moveable sheve bushings are wore, the clutch is flexing as it compresses thus putting stress on the spring.
The other would be rollers, if you have a bad roller the weight is going to get hung up, and again it's not compressing evenly. In short if your clutch isn't compressing smoothly and evenly something is going to give.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.