Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend is having troubles with his Polaris Clutch. Its a 96 xlt 600. It may be an SP if that makes a diff. Right now his cltuch will begin to engage at 6000rpm. Once it starts to engages the primary backs off and it slaps the belt. Lurching forward alittle bit each time its slaps. He asked me to take a look at it so what should i look for? Also it used to engage at about 4500 so its progressively gotten worse. Im thinknig maybe some bad springs??

·
Registered
957 Posts
Sounds like it deffinatly needs a good cleaning up too as it's not slideing freely.... probably needs new buttons, check the rollers and weights, and the spring as well... Also look for any stress cracks in the two halves of the clutch body...Unfortuntaly I'm pretty sure that clutch has the jam nut on the spider which requires a special tool to take off....So you can pretty much change everything but the buttons (which probably need changing) after you pull the clutch.

·
Administrator
13,097 Posts
It is not a broken spring. If the spring broke it would engage sooner, not later. I busted a spring in my XCR and it would engage at like 2500 RPM, while the sled idled it would drive away.

Sounds like rollers/weights/bushings

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What special tools are needed for the primary? And what tools for the secondary? I'm pretty handy just not to much experince with sled clutches.

·
Registered
957 Posts
For the primary you need a clutch puller (some people just take it apart with the clutch still on the crank.... I just think it's too much of a pain), You'll also need the jamb nut tool if your clutch has one (looks like a rounded nut with 4 notches in it every 90 degrees), Some people are able to get the spider off the clutch with out the use of a Spider Grunt tool.....but as always having the right tool makes it easier, and you'll need some way of holding the clutch..... I went ahead and got this clutch holder that you put in a vise......has a hes head on one side and a taperd shsaft just like the crank on the other end...just bolt the clutch on and it's secure.

As for the secondary all ya need are large snap ring pliers that compress (not expand) the rings..

Taking off the primary can be quite a pain to say the least........but there's nothing like the sound of hearing that thing pop off!!!!......It's all easy from there if ya got the tools. You can get all the tools for the cost of what a shop is going to charge ou just in labor to service the two clutches.... So I see it as well worth the investment.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Don't use an impact wrench on the clutch puller or to assemble anything...... Impact gun is nice for getting that jam nut off. If ya got small hands go for it with it on the sled. Remove the center bolt and the 6 bolts around the out side and the spring and that cover will pop off.... From ther you can change the weights but you can't do the rollers or the buttons on the spider.....To get at those you need take off the jam nut and the spider.... and for that I think it would be both a major pain getting both those off (well just the spider if you use an impact wrench on the jam nut) but especially getting them back on and keeping the engine from turning over.... You have to torque that jam nut to something like 150 ft/lbs.... So for serviceing anything on the acctucla spider I'd say you need to pull the clutch... Weight and spring changes could be done without pulling it.

I'd think if ya just want to avoid the hassle and be rideing by the weekend take it to a shop and you should be all fixed up for around $150

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well My shop can pull the cltuch for 15$ so thats not a prob prolly jsut need to take the motor out. i think i'd have to ask. And im sure he could pull the secondary on the for about 15$. So after its pulled is everything pretty simple?

·
Registered
32 Posts
You can pull the secondary in about 2 minutes your self with a 1/2" wrench unless it's frozen on the shaft, take off the belt, take off the bolt and it should slide right off, pay attention to where the spacers go.
Gotta have a puller for the primary, should be able to get one for $20 or so, squirt some grease in the hole after you take the bolt out and when you start turning the puller in the clutch will pop right off.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is it necessary to replace the weights he was going to order a complete primary rebuild kit but I dont think its coming with springs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts