Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got my b-in-laws sled in my garage waiting for a piston to arrive. He says that when he has the flipper on the bar the tach reads 9500. It's a 99 with 38mm flat slides. Will this thing respond to heavier weights? He can get his speedo to read 100 mph. Of course I can smoke him with my 600 twin but It would be OK to be a little more even.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Those things do like to rev, but that does seem high. I'd try a fresh primary spring and add 2g on the front. Make sure his secondary is free and shifting out all the way.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
yep check the secondary, look at the rollers and buttons on the primary, I am going out on a limb and saying everything is stock on clutching but someone has tightend the secondary spring up one or two holes. I would open the secondary and put the spring in whole 2 check rpms and shifting then up to hole three if the rpms come down to much. you should be around the 8300-8500 mark.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Stock spring on that sled is a Gold. Get rid of it. Go with a blue. The gold hit's too low. The blue hits around 4300 rpm. Go with a new (stock) secondary spring and set it in the 3rd hole. Both of these springs should be replaced every 2500 miles without question. While your in the secondary replacing the spring emery cloth the ramps on the helix and replace the buttons. This will take you all about an hour and will be the best money under 50 bucks you will ever notice on your sled.

Good luck.

KB

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Clutch is definately stock. Not been touched. Its always revved like this. Can't stress enough that this is a 38mm carb engine. I know guys with 34mm and they are dogs. I would rather have a 500 twin Fugi.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Kevin replace the springs and you will notice an immediate difference. Also replace the belt with a new one.

Let me know how you make out.

KB

1 - 6 of 6 Posts