Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so my sleds at 66xx miles and I have heard of the clutch weights wearing into the spider and since comet is don't I figured I best pull my primary apart. First question, what are some signs of the weights cutting into the spider?
I can get my primary pulled at a sled shop for 25$ so I figured it was a fair deal, only downside is they want 140+ $ to pull it apart plus parts. Can I pull ot apart myself? One of my friends grandpas did ice racing so he said his grandpa could probably help me out.

If the weights do need to be replaced I'm gonna go with a dd clutch kit, would I be better off with another? Also what else should be replaced besides what a clutch kit would have?

Finally how will I know if the weights are worn/ clutch is damaged?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
You should be able to see if the weights are rubbing inside the spider with the clutch still on the crank, you can do this with the old school method of changing the spring without removing the clutch, it helps if you have a friend that can assist, back out all of the cover bolts evenly until the cover is almost ready to come off, have your helper put pressure on the cover to hold the spring in and then take all the cover bolts out, slowly let the pressure off the spring by letting it push the cover off, but be careful and don't let the cover slip or it will become a projectile, after the cover and spring is off you can slide the movable sheave in and look up in the spider pockets where the weights swing into to see if they have been hitting against the inside of the spider pockets, the most common cause of this is a couple of things, either the bushings in the weights are worn causing the weights to wobble on the pins, and or the movable sheave bushing is worn also, for the amount of money that the shop wants to repair the clutch (depending on what parts it needs) you could probably find a good used one for the same money, to take a primary apart you have to have the proper tools, (my brother has the setup and we do our own polaris clutch rebuilds) as far as clutching a ZR 500 I have no clue on what parts would be needed, you will need to either find someone on here that is in the know for a good setup for your sled or maybe even venture over on to arcticchat.com and ask over on that site, I'm sure someone can give you the advice your looking for to clutch your ZR.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After talking with my dad I think I may just continue to run my clutch as is. Also since comet is out of business I'm not sure I could even get parts without paying a crazy price. Also you brought up a very good point 98700xc I might aswell just buy a good used clutch for the cost of repairing mine it probably isn't worth it. I think I'll give your method for check damage a try though.

Sorry about waisting those who posted's time, I just couldn't figure out what I was gonna do.

Thanks for answering my questions though as you got all my important ones aswered in one post :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts