Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
96XLT sp with X12

Not looking for it to rip up top, as she never pins it. But she wants something with a little more spunk on the bottom and out of the corners.

·
Registered
807 Posts
10AL weights and blue primary spring will make a major improvement. The secondary set up that worked for that sled was an EPI QA1 with EPI yellow spring but I am unsure of helix availability now. A Hotseat 34S and a Polaris blue secondary spring works well also.
The 070 belt should replace the 042, 066 is an improvement also.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what grams are the 10al's? I have a blue primary Im taking out of my XC700

what are the angles of the QA1 helix?

·
Registered
807 Posts
53 grams but I believe pin location is slightly offset to standard weights. QA1 is is quad angle stepped helix (stepped compound) with a final angle of 34 degrees (not a progressive cut which is too much for the sled).

Basically we found the engine was too buzzy and needed to be loaded, my wife and other freinds had that sled with that combo. The 10al's are 4 grams heavier than stock, there are other combo's that could work and try especially if you have access to spare parts. You could try an aggressive 36 compound helix like the common R12 or swap secondaries from your XC and see how it runs with out changing weights. The springs to blue is important if changes are done. If you swap secondaries or put in a performance helix you will need to install a total of three 30 thou washers under secondary snap ring to adjust for narrow 1 3/8 belt. I did like the 066 belt, lasted forever.

I have all the parts mentioned on the shelf, too bad you are not closer to test and tune.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Kevin, that dark blue from the XC will not work, the blue spring suggested is light blue in color, 40-34 or 42-34 helix's will help also, its been so long since my brothers 96 XLT I can't remember all of the clutching stuff for them.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
I ran a t-1 with a silver spring in mine. Left the weights there with a light blue(blue) spring. Before I swapped the 070 for a 042, I would run a 045.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Originally posted by xcr440
[br]I ran a t-1 with a silver spring in mine. Left the weights there with a light blue(blue) spring. Before I swapped the 070 for a 042, I would run a 045.
What's the advantage of the 045 belt over the 070? Just curious.

·
Registered
187 Posts
the 045 is just a little bit wider, and a little bit shorter. i would reccomend this one as well.
my 96 xlt sp was pretty awesome with a D&G silencer with a hot seat clutch kit. 144 studs. ran like a dream! -Polaris Doc

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
[attachment=53163]

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts