Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One more for all the gearheads... How do you replace the small teflon slider "buttons" in the secondary clutch on a '97 XLT SP? There seems to be two cover plates on the clutch, but I don't want to take anything apart until I'm sure...those things are spring-loaded!! On my Yamaha, the secondary clutch does not have the same cover plates and the teflon sliders are easy to get at. Any tips guys??

On the back of my snow jacket it says...

"If you can read this, the bitch fell off!"

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Sorry, can't help you on this one, don't have my shop manual yet. But I'm sure someone here can.

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Don't quote me on this, but i am logically guessing here. Use a clutch compressing tool first to take the danger of a spring or clutch blowing in your face, then there should be a snap ring on the back side of the clutch. Remove that carefully, and then i think you just pull one of the sheaves off and you should soon see the buttons. Replace them with Teflon buttons and put it back together again. It wouldn't hurt to replace any worn out bushings too. Clean it up and put it together again. That's as far as i know, maybe someone else has more input...

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
Ok, what I do is put the clutch on the floor, turn the inside sheave (same way as when you take a belt off) then hold it and put your knee on the helix pushing it down. Take the snap ring off, and slide the helix out, make sure you know what hole the spring was in, then pop the buttons out and reverse this process, just be sure your helix ramps are on the new buttons.

http://www.bolliger-mabillard.com

I love B&M Coasters!

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Thats the way I do it too BUT it is not as easy as it sounds the first few times. There is not that much pressure on the spring dont be scared of it flying across the room.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
them other guys got it right but inspect the helix ramps for any little pitting and make sure the ramp is smooth you will see at the tip were the buttons sit and how far down they go . the edge of the ramp should not have a sharpness to it.

nothing goes like three holes!!!!!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts