Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
should a clutch spring be changed after puting on so many miles? I have a blue one in mine and it just looks like it wants out. ANy thoughts on this?

·
Registered
453 Posts
I've heard they're supposed to be changed every year if the spring isn't taken out during the summer. I never did, my 03 had 4700 miles on it before I changed it. I'd recommend buying a new spring from Polaris, roughly 30 bucks. Would you happen to know anyone by the last name of Smiltneek? Big family up in them parts of the U.P., I went to high school with a kid who's family had a farm in Daggett/Stephenson.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Everyother season is fine...depending on how many miles you do in a season. When cleaning your clutches inspect the springs. Look for cracks, paint chipping off, spots that are wore out. Usually the paint chipping off is a good sign. Just my 2cents

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
No real rule of thumb on when to change. For optimum performance it should be changed every year. I change mine when the rpms arn't where they should be. Normally every 5 years or so.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep, theres paint chipped off. It'll be getting a new one.....And TrailRebel, I heard of that name but cant say for Sure that I've ever met any of em.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Every 2 years for sure. If you have factory clutching, you may want to check out some different set-ups that others have used to get more out if the sled. Factory set-ups are usually quite conservative. Also, if you are planning to change anything in the motor, susp., gearing, track, etc. you need to take these changes into consideration as they usually will change how the clutching should be set-up.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I change mine out every other year now. However my younger years I never changed them and never really noticed a difference. I just like to tinker and make more work for myself.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts