Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a clutch off a 488FC with a red/w spring and 10AL bushed weights. How big of a difference will a cultch with a blue spring and 10 weights make. I can change to the red spring if needed. I think their is a 1.5gr difference per weight and I am sure that the grind is also different.

Most guys say the only real thing to do with a 488FC is clutch work and suspension. What would be a good combo for clutching?

As always,
Thanks for the advice.[thumb]

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anybody???

Where are all the Clutch GODS??

·
Registered
26 Posts
give me a second.

The "hot set up" is #10 weights @ 51.5 grams coupled with a Polaris red spring or an Erlandson orange spring.
The Pol. red is rated at 120# at engagement and 250 at full shift.
The Erlandson is rated at 125# engagement and 260 at full shift.
My Indy trail came with #10AL weights @ 53 grams and a polaris red/white spring rated at 100# engagement and 220# full shift. I assume that yours is the same.
I installed the Pol. red spring and left the #10AL weights in. Definately works better. And doesn't seem to overrev at all. The spring cost me about $25 at Big Meadow.
To replace it I recomend that you remove the clutch bolt and reinstall finger tight with a washer that will cover the hole in the outer cover. You may still have 1/8th inch between the new washer and the cover. I loosened the three cover bolts a LITTLE at a time until the cover came against the washer and then I removed the three bolts followed by removal of the main clutch bolt. You are supposed to mark the spider,outer sheave, and cover so that don't move in relation to each other when you reassemble them. They are balanced at the factory as a unit.
Remove spring and replace with new one. Place cover over clutch, line up the marks and run the bolt on as far as you can. Replace the three cover bolts and screw them a little at a time to keep the cover square with the rest of the clutch. Remove the assembling washer from the main bolt and replace with the parts that go on there. Retorque clutch bolt and away you go.

The above is an Email I sent my Uncle back in 97 or 98. I still own my Trail. It has about 7000 miles on it. My current weights are (I believe) 49 grams. They are an Arctic Cat part number with a notch that lets the engine spin up pretty good before engaging. I'm pretty sure my secondary is set up in the stock position.

I sometimes forget how different my sled is from a stock Trail. People remind me cause they can't believe the performance I get from my lowly Indy Trail Touring.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey thanks for the info. This will be my son's first sled and we are starting to get it rebuilt.
What kind of performance do you get with your set-up? Better bottom end? and or top end?
Thanks again. [thumb]

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SO would this be a good combo?
primary - red/w, 10-54's...secondary - red 36 deg. #2 location

1 - 5 of 5 Posts