Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, i want to get some clutching done on my 96 xlt special. I'm on a tight budget, so i figure i could save a few bucks buying the springs/helix/weights seperatetly rather than buying a kit. Im thinking erlandson. Can you guys tell me what parts to get (color springs, etc..)? im looking for getting as much performance as possible and staying under 150 bucks. Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ok lemme be more specific, my sled is a 600 triple without pipes. And what im looking for with the clutching is more low end than high end, i dont really care about going over 100, i just want hard acceleration and power, without loosing alot of speed.

·
Registered
129 Posts
i haved a 96 xlt 600 with xtra 12...i put a 42/36 helix and a polaris blue spring in the second hole...this made a really big difference...the sled starts to make decent power a t 5k and will scream to 9k with no hesitation or bog ...i left the primary gold sping in the drive clutch it engages at around 4200 rpm if yu go up to about 5k launch ...i think a feller will have to hold on tight. ive had this sled going 90 with more left...fast enuff for me..

·
Registered
277 Posts
If you want a great holeshot, go with an Erlandson black spring in the primary (145-280 lb.) with the stock weights. This will kick in around 5000 rpms. If you have shims removed from under your spider nut in the primary or buy some plastic engagement shims to put between the main clutch bolt and your clutch cover, to lessen the gap between your belt and clutch sheaves to about .20", your clutch will engage like 'melted butter'. Smooth. In your secondary Magnaboy hit it on the head, 42-36 helix with a Polaris blue spring works super. Second hole for drag racing and third hole for trail riding. I had a 44-36 helix in mine, but it was piped. A Erlandson yellow secondary spring will work also, but has more tortional and side pressure than the Polaris spring and you dont need it unless you go with a more radical helix. Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts