Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey There,

Does anyone know if you should have play from your driven clutch to the track. I was turning my driven clutch and noticed that
it turned about 4 inches (outside circum.) before the sprocket turned. Should there be zero play here or is play normal. Just worried about my chain snapping on a ride.

Thanks for any suggestions

·
Registered
295 Posts
sounds like you have to tighten up the chain. simple adjustment. do you have a book on the sled? there should be a, how to explain this,there should be a long bolt protruding from the chain case on the right hand side as you look at it. now loosen the lock nut that is tight to the chain case housing.screw in the long bolt finger tight and tighten the lock nut. good to go and keep an eye on it, you may have to tighten it again.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
some sled's don't have a lock nut, some of the newer sled's utilize a pin to hold the bolt in place after adjustment (small hole drilled in bolt). Keep in mind that if you have this type of set up you want to loosen the bolt slightly to get the hole and the pin to line up! (don't over tighten the bolt)

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Some play is normal. Like gold said, just check your chain tension. Do it how the Polaris manual says to do it. If you don't have a manual, get one.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tip, I will see if it is tight.

And no I do not have a manual for this sled, just traded
my 93 yamaha v-max4 for this 97 polaris indy ultra touring and
the guy didn't have one for me. (Needs a little work.)

I'm new to this site-last year I was on snowmobileworld, but I
think this site is better
Thanks for the help and quick replies. [:)]

·
Registered
700 Posts
if you have 4in of rotational play on your cluch somthing is up. Rule of thumb for chain tension is to rotate the secondary counterclockwise to put all the chain slack on the tensioner side and hold the brake or set the parking brake. Then turn the tensioner bolt in till its finger tight and wont go in anymore. Then back it off a 1/4 turn and lock it down. Your clutch should only rotate about 1/4 inch or so. With 4inches i would pull the cover and look at stuff. Im surprised you havent been skipping teeth when you ride. If you cannot take the tension out with the tensioner then get new gears and a chain.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for info Boss,

I haven't driven the thing but 50 feet to put it on trailer.
Traded for it this past summer.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I tightened the chain the way you described and it was loose.
when I loosened the lock nut, the tension bolt was loose and tightened in about 1/2 inch more. It did make some of the play go away. I have about 2 1/2 - 3 inches of play now. I dont know if I want to take the cover off, looks complicated with that reverse
lever going in right through the cover. Just dont want to take it off and have things fall apart before I see how things were.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
that sounds about right. remember the chain case is gear reduction and you have slip between the drivers and track as well. so for the driver to turn a little bit before it moves the track the secondary might have to move a lot

·
Registered
187 Posts
yes, with reverse this is normal. if you were to take the reverse gears out and see how they mesh, you will understand why it's like this. -Polaris Doc

1 - 13 of 13 Posts