Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got these pictures ready to post. Very cheap, effective and easy to make clutch tool.

/snofan/../images/users/jacqui583/clutch1.jpg
/snofan/../images/users/jacqui583/clutch22.jpg
/snofan/../images/users/jacqui583/clutch33.jpg

Jacqui.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
What exactly is that black piece of plastic? So your just pushing down on the top of it with that piece of pipe, and then removing the snap ring?

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah Tfin70, that's basically it.

I spent about $7 on some black pvc piping from the plumbing section of the local home store. There's a 3" (I think) pipe with an internal thread at one end, a cap that fits into this pipe to give you something to press down on, and another pipe that fits snuggly on the outside of the first pipe. I cut a 1/2" length of the larger diameter pipe and slipped it around the bottom to keep the whole thing from sliding off the clutch when you apply pressure to it. You can't see it very well in the picture but it extends below the inside pipe by a quarter inch or so and fits around the outside of the helix on the clutch. Then I cut an opening in the one side to access the snap ring with the plyers, and I had to cut a small access hole in the opposite side (I don't think you can see that) to push down with a screwdriver on the snap ring to put it back on. That's because I didn't have 45 degree snap ring pliers and couldn't hold the ring horizontal enough to put it back on with the straight pliers that I have.

I had my partner's hydraulic press in the garage to use with this setup, but I imagine you guys might be strong enough to press down on it with your hand if you had to. Obviously the ones in the catalogues are better made, but this worked in a pinch for me, and the price was right!

Jacqui.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Hmmm, very nice. I might have to make a stop to the local hardware store this weekend to see if I can make one of my own. Thanks.

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

·
Registered
117 Posts
Tfin
We made one like that when Jacqui posted it the first time.
It worked great and didn't cost $130 -$150 like the store bought ones.

Jeff
P.S. Awesome pics Jacqs.

RIDE SAFE - RIDE SOBER

·
Registered
21 Posts
Look's like I nice tool. But I will tell you my little trick to take off my cam. First get your self a pair of Quik clamps. The ones you can use with one hand. Then take your clutch and spin the back sheave in reverse. then camp it with the clamp. Take a ruber hammer and hit your cam to relese the pressure on the snap ring. Remove snap ring. Realese the clamp to remove the cam. This process has help me shave of alot of time when I needed to make a quick change to my secondary in between heats. It takes alittle practice but it works very well.

ONE THING AT A TIME!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts