Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ust got a '04 Switchback with 525 miles on it.

There is a significant left to right shake which seems to be coming from the left side (clutch area). It is enough to shake the whole left ski, and even over to the coolent tank.

1. Could this be a thrown weight? If not, what else might it be?

2. When you throw a weight, can you hear it? I swear I heard a large bang under the hood the first time I took it out. And I don't recall a shake like that the first time I started it in the garage.

3. Is it okay to drive this thing in the meantime? There seems to be a big shake at 1500-2500 rpm, but once its reved up over that, it seems to go away a little.

Any help would be truely appreciated.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Mine does it too. That large bang you heard...did it happen to be when you hit the gas after the brakes? or went from reverse to forward and vice versa? I believe it's normal for the Team driven clutch.

Mike

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As I remember, I was sitting still, and hit the gas, and before it moved, I heard that loud bang.

I just checked at lunch today again. when sitting idle, the handlebars left ski and right ski (more-so the left) all vibrate. Also, the seat vibrates so bad, two spark plug boxes slid off.

However, when I rev it up to 4K RPMs or more, the vibration seems to go away. It appears its only on the low end.

Is this a normal shake? Or if its not a thrown weight, what could it be? I've never actually thrown a weight before, but that's what a friend suggested it might be.

If so, does the whole clutch need replacing, or just a new weight?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Had mine out for a blast around the yard today and it shakes as well. Inspected everything, and found nothing. Again about the bang, it's likely your secondary hooking up. They all do it apparently.

[red]Edit[/red]: Found this on a search, http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=38133&SearchTerms=team,clutch

1 - 4 of 4 Posts