Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I got some weights off eBay that where supposed be in good shape, which they are but the person didn't list then as the right weight Grrrrr. Anywho just checked them and they are 53.8g as apposed to the 52.7g they where supposed to be. Would you guys leave negative feedback? Now comes the important part, I'm ready to grind the weights down to 53g to start trying to tune me sled, my question is where do I take material off? Don't want to mess them up. Running a new belt, new yellow grn primary spring, new primary clutch, I'm adding these weights. What should I shoot for weight? Figured 53g would be a good start as 51.5 was the weights I had.

Thanks,
Dakota
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,842 Posts
I would grind them on the bottom side of the last ½” to ¾” from the tip in. take a little at a time and run them see if you need more rpms, if so then grind some more.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,194 Posts
i ground the tops of the weights where they meet the rollers.... and if you dont want your dad to beat you for ruining his new primary weights i suggest not doing that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,958 Posts
Get a weight grinding fixture jig to do it right, unless you have experience doing it by hand,the cow knows what I'm talking about, you don't want them new weights to end up on the bench as a conversation piece.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,786 Posts
Bmxican said:
i ground the tops of the weights where they meet the rollers.... and if you dont want your dad to beat you for ruining his new primary weights i suggest not doing that.[/color=red]


He doesn't ride his daddy's stuff...... [Disappointed]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
98700xc said:
Get a weight grinding fixture jig to do it right, unless you have experience doing it by hand,the cow knows what I'm talking about, you don't want them new weights to end up on the bench as a conversation piece.
What do you mean? like a bench grinder? my work place has one, i could always practice on the old toasted ones first.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,850 Posts
http://www.aaenperformance.com/snow_clutch_parts.asp

About half-way down on the right.


The best way to do it, then your profiles will match.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,958 Posts
Empire087 said:
98700xc said:
Get a weight grinding fixture jig to do it right, unless you have experience doing it by hand,the cow knows what I'm talking about, you don't want them new weights to end up on the bench as a conversation piece.
What do you mean? like a bench grinder? my work place has one, i could always practice on the old toasted ones first.
I mean one of these:
http://www.wahlracing.com/product.php?productid=20101&cat=0&page=1&click=srclick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh so your saying to grind the face instead of the inside of the weight. probably doesnt matter to much.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,958 Posts
Either way its nice to have the grinding block so all three weights are being ground at the same time, and you can put the weights in the fixture in different positions depending on what side you want to grind, or just be very careful like madcow suggested and grind a bit off the bottoms of each one and keep weighing them and as long as you get them withing a tenth or two of each other you will be fine, but for sure you don't want to alter the ramp except for back by the top of the pin area if your trying to up the engagement, the bottoms,sides and heels are the normal places to take material off.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
11,279 Posts
I always take material off the sides when balancing mine. I dont think I have ever bought a set of weights that perfectly matched each other without doing a little grinding.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,541 Posts
Did you try running them first to see if you need them to be lighter?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,842 Posts
For 1 gram off you would be better off getting a different primary. Or tighten the secondary up one hole.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What do you mean? The weights? Or the person not listing them correctly? Should have everything put together by tommorrow. We have just enough snow I can test everything out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,194 Posts
Dragon700 said:
Bmxican said:
i ground the tops of the weights where they meet the rollers.... and if you dont want your dad to beat you for ruining his new primary weights i suggest not doing that.[/color=red]


He doesn't ride his daddy's stuff...... [Disappointed]


i was working on my dads sled like 4 years ago when i pulled that one. he told me to take a half gram off each weight, didnt specify what area to remove material from so i winged it. just trying to add some humor in there but i guess not. someones gotta pull the daddy cord.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,842 Posts
Sorry meant different primary spring. One with a little higher finish rate. I would run them first and see what the sled does.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
engages at 4300/4400, which is about right for what i want. My tach bulb came out so i couldnt see it at night. feels a lot better though. Ive also run into the problem that we have powder over ice, not a good combination when it comes to starting and stopping. Even going fast for that matter. I also still need to pull the weights back out to replace the bushings(only one was bad, but im replacing them all). so i have to wait until monday to order them and hopefully can have a enough snow to ride by then too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,016 Posts
The sled will most likely engage at a lower RPM with the heaver weights. Just something to keep in mind.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hmm I wonder where it would have engaged with 51.5g weights as apposed to 53.8g ones.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well just got back from a run in the field next to me, 4300 engagement revs out to 8000 flat I need another 300-400 rpms. How much do you guys think I should take off? 1/2g or 1g? I'll take a little higher engagement.
 
1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Top