Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
used mainly to keep sled from over reving, also can help with higher engadgment, alot of racers go to a 48 to get the high hitting clutchs going. much like that hi-pro clutch kit you removed from my recolection..

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well on the xc I'm kicking in about 5100rpm little heavier weights then what was in it when I got it ....but I just don't know if I'm going to lose mph

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
The engagement is mostly controlled by the spring, put a lighter(lower first number) spring in and that will make the difference, stock profile weights mostly control top end rpms. What is the XC? 6 or 700 either way if its a liberty twin you want about 8-8100 rpms at top end. My 99xc700 is running 64g weights and I could use just a tad more, most people I believe run 62s, but it will depend on your clutching.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a 99 700 before it was kicking in at 4500 and now I had the shop tune it and they put heavier weights in and its kicking in a little over 5 grand

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
something changed when the shop played with it. heavier weights should have brought down the engagement a tiny bit.

that something changed might be as simple as they put notched wieghts in. or the profile of the weight is different than the polaris weight, so it is wanting to "tuck under" causing the higher engagement.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Exactly as madcow said it, they did something. 5000 on these motors is way to much for engagement, all your going to do is spin the track. I have mine engaging at about 3600.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well the higher engagement doesnt bother me but i just was sure it i was going to lose any speed or anything but i also want it to run where it should for rpms and want my speed

well he put what he got for all the specs bc it has all slp clutch kits and vforce boost bottle power packs slp twins so he went with but was recommended with all that it will s**t and get now thats all i know b4 it was dead and had no balls clutches stuck all that crap

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
I don't think you will be happy with that high of an engagement, but you will find out for yourself. And top end rpms, not sure if they are the same for a single and twins, but for a single pipe or stock pipe you want about 8100, check out the SLP site for top end on the twins.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well i thank you for giving me some more info i didnt know. and the rpm peak i guess is 8000-8200 we will see if i like it. but i like that the guy said if its nothing i like bring it back he will get it to my likings free of charge on everything.he said hes not out to rob money i like to deal with good people like that

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Like said above, 5000 is WAY too high engagement for that sled, even with twin pipes it doesn't need to be coming in any higher than 4500, the only time I would even consider setting up to launch at that high of rpm would be for drag racing on ice or grass with a whole lot of chisel studs for traction, another thing that will suffer with the 5K engagement will be overall drive-ability and gas mileage when trail riding, the big block twins make plenty of torque down low so high engagement will just work against you, in easier words to understand every time you go to take off the sled is gonna dig a trench, and when you get off the trail and into deep snow it will just cause more problems, if you can tell us what spring and weights your guy put in the primary we will get a better idea of what your working with, years back when I was running SLP twins on one of my 98 700's I had some polaris 10-62's in it that had a engagement notch ground on the tops of the weights, it came in at or around 5000 and it made the sled very peaky to trail ride, you might say you want to try it but trust me once you do your gonna end up wanting to back it down to a engagement that is better suited for the setup.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
98700xc said:
Like said above, 5000 is WAY too high engagement for that sled, even with twin pipes it doesn't need to be coming in any higher than 4500, the only time I would even consider setting up to launch at that high of rpm would be for drag racing on ice or grass with a whole lot of chisel studs for traction, another thing that will suffer with the 5K engagement will be overall drive-ability and gas mileage when trail riding, the big block twins make plenty of torque down low so high engagement will just work against you, in easier words to understand every time you go to take off the sled is gonna dig a trench, and when you get off the trail and into deep snow it will just cause more problems, if you can tell us what spring and weights your guy put in the primary we will get a better idea of what your working with, years back when I was running SLP twins on one of my 98 700's I had some polaris 10-62's in it that had a engagement notch ground on the tops of the weights, it came in at or around 5000 and it made the sled very peaky to trail ride, you might say you want to try it but trust me once you do your gonna end up wanting to back it down to a engagement that is better suited for the setup.
ok ill give him a call tomorrow or begining of next week and see he only changed the weights in the primary and its the same orange spring

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
not only that but now its a pain in the a$$ to start it takes like 6 7 pulls i have nothing agaist this guys work bc it is 10x better but i want it to perform for me with no troubles

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
6-7 pulls to start aint bad.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
it did start with in 1-3 but not now but im running it low on gas also so could be taking that much longer to pull through i should go fill it up and put fresh plugs in

and let me say this when it starts up it idles about 3500-4 and after it warms it drops to 2500 then again to like 15 1600 or so

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
That isn't right either, it shouldn't idle anywhere near 3000 at any time.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
teamarctic14 said:
it did start with in 1-3 but not now but im running it low on gas also so could be taking that much longer to pull through i should go fill it up and put fresh plugs in

and let me say this when it starts up it idles about 3500-4 and after it warms it drops to 2500 then again to like 15 1600 or so
Typically when cold 18-2000 on start up is normal but it should drop down to the preferred 1600 once it starts warming up, sounds to me like the throttle cables are adjusted too tight or it could be a problem in the idle circuit, what pilot jets are in it??? and I am assuming it has a boost bottle also.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
not uncommon for the polaris sleds to idle high like that, some guys adjust the jetting. i just flip the choke to keep it idling low, after a minute or two it will idle at set speed just fine.

i personally dont mind the high idle since it helps keep the engine from slobbering a bunch of fuel into the pipes. you arent warming it up that much faster to worry about scoring. i let it idle high sometimes if its really cold out, then go in and get dressed, when the idle comes down you know its warm enough to start throttling on the warm up stand.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts