Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How do clutch weights effect the way a clutch works. Such as the weight of the weight and the design. And also if they are heavier what does it do and if it is lighter what does it do. Dosen't the way a weight is shaped effect the way the clutch works as well.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Since im a one finger typer I wont go into detail here. There is an excellent book from aaen racing for around twenty bucks. The basics revolve around centrifical force. the faster the clutch spins the more the weights move. The heavier the weights the faster they move. The shape of the weight determines how long it takes for the clutch to move through a particular section of its travel. The spring puts an opposing force against the travel that the weights cause. The rpm of your motor is dictated by the rate at which the spinning weights overcome the spring pressure and close the clutch halves. Too fast and the engine will be lugged down. Too slow and the engine will over rev. Your job is to find the best combo to accelerate you the fastest with out bogging down the motor. In a nut shell I hope this helps.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well put Hotrod. AAEN is the man when it comes to comet clutches and two stroke tuning in general.

Regards,
Nathan

Alaska The Great Land!!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Willy, a good clutch tuner can do awesome things! You can put small notches in the weight to hold rpm and adjust how fast they shift. You can also do some with the secondary adjusting spring tension for quicker upshift. You will loose the backshift (braking) ability though.

Word of advise - don't randomly play with this if you don't have experience because it can get frustrating. Get someones help that has experience. Bad clutching can make you think you have carb tuning problems and make you pull your hair out! Anyone else done this?

You don't have to believe everything you think!

·
Registered
21 Posts
OH MAN! Ive pulled my hair out many times over that. But I agree with all of these sujestion. Clutching is a world of its own. It takes alot of patience and note taking. TAKE NOTES! If your going to start playing with that. Write down all your changes and results. That way you are not going over your steps. ONE THING AT A TIME. Try not to make to many changes at one time, so you dont confuse your self when your sled works like shit and you dont know if it the changes you did on your primary or its the gear change you did at the same time. Keep a consitent proper belt deflection, make sure your clutches are in line at all times when playing with clutching. Make sure your engine is healthy and running top. Without that your wasting your time. TRACTION! Make shure you are getting good traction. Put some studs.

Well these are somethings that I thought might help you on your long journey of clutching.

ONE THING AT A TIME

1 - 5 of 5 Posts