Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
primary clutch will not pop off the engine i used a clutch puller and the puller just twisted and bent, any ideas on gettin the thing off?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Try letting penatrating oil sit for a day other wise try some "freeze release" its made by locktite and is an alternitive to a torch its penetrating oil and a chemical that cools the part enough to loosen up the part. in some cases it works well, where you realy dont want to torch.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
what the hell puller are you using that twisted and bent?!?!?!?!?! try putting some grease on the whole then using an impact if that doesnt work tap on the end of the pulled GENTLY with a hammer some times thats all it takes

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
^^Yeah, no kidding! The threaded part of the puller is about 3/4" in diameter. I've seen a 200+ lb. guy jumping on a breaker bar attached to my puller, and the puller didn't mind at all.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
just googled a picture of an f7 clutch puller first picture was one bent to hell must be shitty design.... figures haha

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oh hell yea puller is screwed it gets real thin on the end that pushes and the thing just compressed and bent

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
get a high dollar puller from erlandson or cat, dont buy a 29 dollar china puller.

its a taper fit, get that puller tight and give it a hit with a hammer then tighten more and give it a good hit with a hammer.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I just did mine on a 97 ultra. Took us heating it and then immediatly cooling it with just a touch of snow. Not too much though as hot to cold too fast can cause damage I would assume. But it did work with no damage for me. Good luck!

·
Registered
645 Posts
fill the hole with oil. put some thread sealing tape on the puller and it should come off :)

·
Registered
192 Posts
went through the same thing on my ultra couple weeks ago, madcow gave you some good info, dont use one of those cheap pullers, they can even snap off inside the clutch. get yourself a good quality puller then put a few squirts of grease in the hole and thread the puller in, the grease will act as a hydraulic force when you turn the puller in and will help to pop the clutch off. have never heard of anyone using oil but im sure that would work as well. some people even tip the sled on its side and fill the whole with water so its not as messy, but then you need tape on the threads of the puller so the water doesnt squirt out through the threads..i used grease and ended up getting it off with a breaker bar, tighten as much as you can with the bar then when it gets too hard to tighten wack the puller with a hammer a couple times(dont be afraid to wack it good and hard once you have a quality puller, itll take the abuse) then you should be able to tighten more, repeat as needed and the clutch will pop free..might help some to spray the shaft behind the clutch with some PB or other penetrating oil and let it soak in awhile as well, but i wouldnt go near that shaft with a torch or you could damage the crank seal behind the clutch..

·
Registered
34 Posts
Haha too familiar, bout a month ago tried to get the secondary off my 99 zrt. No luck after penetrating oil torch oxygen torch air hammer bigger hammer. Had to pull the whole shaft off out of the chaincase n take it to a shop. 20 tons of pressure later on a press and it finally popped. Metal had started to fuse together. Hopefully you wont have as much trouble as me lol but like everyone else said heat(sparingly) and penetrating oil puller and hammer are probably your best bet. Never seize when you put it back on even a little bit will do the trick.

·
Registered
140 Posts
When i pulled mine off my 580 i sprayed it with penetrating oil then just tourqued real good on the puller and then heated it up with a heat gun, but be carefull not to get the crank to hot or your seals could get damaged, then all it took was a slide the sheave over so i could tighten it more and as soon as the sheave hit the atationary sheave POP!

·
Registered
384 Posts
okay! i had this problem a few months ago. Screw it in as far as it will go. put the clutch on 2 pieces of wood to get it up off the ground and you hit the clutch puller with a sledge hammer. Trust me, it works, and it wont hurt the clutch. We had to do that, because our clutch puller just twisted up inside of it. Good luck man!

·
Registered
344 Posts
I got the clutch off my sled by filling it with grease and then I used the bolt from a harmonic balancer puller and tightened it up, hit it with a hammer a few times and it popped right off.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts