Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i found a possible crack on the primary clutch. and that clutch is freaken new..pmo. it appears that the sheaves were in contact probly at engagement. how can i fix this and is this clutch usable? i'm also wondering if it's because my belt is worn. any suggestions?

2010129234512406_9397.jpg
2010129234840687_9397.jpg
2010129235059812_9397.jpg
2010129235437515_9397.jpg

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
how new, i would send it back and argue with them if they say they wont

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
I'm not seeing the crack?

if your primary clutch sheaves are hitting each other they would be doing it at max RPM and that your belt is riding too high in your primary. If that is the cae you will need to get some shims to put under the spider in the clutch and space the sheaves apart some more.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Ive seen them crack on faces not shaft. The shaft must be made of seamed tubing and I think the seam is what you are seeing. I'm not sure what would happen but it does not look good, can you see a mark on end of shaft- the seam may not be fused properly? I would go to dealer and see if Polaris will help you.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Non repairable if the crack is on the inner face where belt rides. What year and model is sled. Might have a primary clutch for you. PM me

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@ powersledder..that's what i thought that it needs to be done. that possible crack is on the base near the shaft. not on the shaft itself. i spoke to my dealer and e-mailed them pictures. the same pics you guys seen. and if it's a crack, they said that they'd replace it for free. that's what i'm hoping.

@thinksno-what's the mark your talking about? i don't think i seen a mark.

@polaris1man-it's a 2003 edge x 800.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Thinksno said:
Ive seen them crack on faces not shaft. The shaft must be made of seamed tubing and I think the seam is what you are seeing. I'm not sure what would happen but it does not look good, can you see a mark on end of shaft- the seam may not be fused properly? I would go to dealer and see if Polaris will help you.
Pretty sure the shafts are made of hardened alloy steel, machined from a solid piece. If there was a welded seam then it would only take a couple installations before the taper would begin to fatigue and separate the shaft at the seam.

Hopefully they will replace the clutch. Even if its not cracked all the way through and its just a casting flaw and therefore a popogation point for real crack not too far down the road.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i sure do hope they replace it. i sent them pics. i'll call them tomorrow.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Maybe its time for glass's, I dont see the crack on the face and I must be seeing a reflection or something on the shaft. Luke, your right they would make it from a solid piece I hope, I have no idea what I was looking at lol! Hope Polaris comes through with a replacement.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
lol it's hard to tell by the pics but the sheaves do come in contact with each other. on the second to last pic, i think that's where you can see it. there's a 'ring' to where the sheave is pressed onto the shaft. i spoke to my dealer not too long ago and they are gonna send me a new one. i hope this one is 'fixed' but i have to send this one back i was gonna put in my old clutch that came along with this machine but it's in bad shape. where the weights sit, the grooves are worn. and on top of that. the rollers are real worn. didn't rebuild it for 8 years. i got this machine nov 25,2002 6.35 pm. lol so it's about time for a update..but snowmachines are getting damn expensive...i remember when a 600 used to cost in the $6,000 range. now for a good 6 it's like over 10k..

·
Registered
463 Posts
i would atleast take it off and check it out before this happens -> http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=239055

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ouch just seen that site...that guy is too strong..and he don't know it. the sheaves do rub each other at the base. and gonna send it back and get a new one without charge.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts