Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just wondering if sanding your clutch is bad. I sanded the inside parts ( the parts where the belt sits) to remove belt burns and slight metal scuffs, which were my mistake. I then polished the clutch. Does this affect the way it would preform. Also this clutch that Iam going to put on my 85 600 has a bit of metal broke off in back of one of the weights. This is from it engaging very hard. Would this peice of metal missing offset the clutch. It is not much but you never know.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
A very light sand once in a while is ok. Sand up and down perpendicular to the shaft. Please be more specific where the chunk of metal is missing. Any more than a gram or two is too much and will cause unnecessary stresses. Also check for cracks, damaged clutches can fly apart.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
If there is anything missing or broken on your clutch, replace it!

·
Registered
243 Posts
If you have ever been around a clutch that came apart at 8grand, you would have new respect for it! If there is any question at all replace it.

You don't have to believe everything you think!

·
Registered
167 Posts
i guess thats why theres that big metal shield around it, still is kinda scary, kinda like schrapnal, or a grenade going off!

if its not a CAT, then it must be a dog!

·
Registered
79 Posts
It might appear to work fine now but a coupple miles down the trail it will come apart!....-> DUCK! the weignt difference will through the whole clutch off. go and replace the broken piece and look for any other damage to it and it will be alot cheeper.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by vetboy:
i guess thats why theres that big metal shield around it, still is kinda scary, kinda like schrapnal, or a grenade going off!

if its not a CAT, then it must be a dog!
[/quote]

That scattershield will NOT stop the clutch pieces. It will slow them down enough so that they no-longer will go through your helmet and kill you. If your clutch lets go, it is a very expensive proposition. Usually you need to get a new hood, belly pan, clutch, seccondary clutch, and sometimes it can hurt your crankshaft, and even more parts.

-Dean

1 - 7 of 7 Posts