Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2002 polaris 500 xc and i am going to clutch it this fall, can anyone give me some insight into what would be the best performance clutch for the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$????????

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
The best performance clutch, or clutch kit ??? A roller-secondary clutch is the smoothest and quickest shifting. (i know i want one) Polaris' primary clutch is one of the best, so i'd keep it for sure. No need to change it.

As far as a clutch kit goes, i'm not real sure. I clutch my own by trial and error. Hot Seat performance and Erlandson performance make clutch kits to improve efficiency and performance. They help alot. Get your stock machine clutched!

I also prefer to stick with Polaris-brand drive belts, because they are matched to the EXACT specs of your clutches. In my opinion they grab harder and last longer. Other brands may vary because they are more universal. Anybody else have some more insight to this question......?

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Not really, I pretty much agree with everything you just said. I'm looking into getting a clutch kit for my sled and an Erlandson kit is on the top of my list. I really like the fact that they make three versions to choose from. Depending on what type of performance you're looking for.

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

·
Registered
5 Posts
It really depends on what you are looking for in a clutch kit and what kind of riding you do. If your like me and want a setup that is primarily for aggressive trail riding then you want to focus on a kit that is a "trail" setup. Generally you would want a kit that gives you good upshift but equal or better backshift. I know that Hotseat Performance makes a great product for just this. My bro got one for his '00xc600sp and let me tell you it was the best investment he has ever made for his sled. Remarkable difference. This sled is known for being a strong "out of box" sled which it was but w/the kit in he has made fools of sleds 200cc+ larger than his in 1/2 mile. This clutch kit is pretty cheap in comparison to other kits that are sold (189.00) and worth it in my opinion. Erlandson Performance (EPI) is another good suggestion. My question to you is what don't you like about your current clutch setup? I know those '02 500's are best in class so I would be interested in what your answer is. Well I hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Hi guys,
I would like to know when I will need to rebuild my clutch.
It seems to be up/down shifting fine.
But how does a roller secondary help? Is it hard to install?
I've got a 99 500 XC with stock everything.
It's got 2300 mostly trail cruising and prairie powder miles on it.
Put a new belt on end of last year, wished I did it sooner.
The thing sure takes off alot better now.
Any help is appreciated.
K

Ride to ride again.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
start by gearing down. on a smaller sled a couple steps of gear down will gain a lot more out of clutch work. then if you have a silver blue secondary spring try the polaris blue or maybe even the silver. theres no need to waste a 180 buck on a clutch kit when a spring and wieghts and regearing will gain you the same but you know what made that gain. a 500 is tough to see huge gains but with the regearing you will increase the torque to the drive axle and that will let you clutch a little more aggressive.

inspect the clutches all the time. in the fall you should pull of the secondary and check the buttons and helix. and check the weights, pins and rollers and the bushings on the spider, and cover.

nothing goes like three holes!!!!!!!

9 Posts
I would go with a Polaris Roller Secondary...... Wait a second.....I did. I am very impressed. very aggresive up and down shifting. It sticks a little at the top but I think its an easy fix. Its amazing that all you guys know about Erlandson Performance(EPI). That guy's shop is real close to my house and i know him pretty good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts