Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if it is possible to take a clutch off a 1997 xc 440 and put it on a 85 indy 600. Why you ask? Because I am trying to narrow the problem down on my 85 600. What Iam trying to do is see if it is a clutch or carb problem. IT IS BOGGING AND WON'T EXCEED SPEEDS OF 60 MPH. Carb or clutch? Oh ya, do I need a different for the 97 if I want to take it off. I have one for the 85 600 but I am not sure if it will work on the 97 xc 440 clutch. The clutch on the 600 seems to be good (rollers and buttons) any suggestion on what weight should be in it and spring.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
The calibration on the 440 clutch is too different than the 600, I wouldnt try switching them. What is your peak or shift out RPM on the 600. Does it go to about 8000 and hold there till you let off.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
I don't think the same clutch puller bolt will fit both sleds, but you may get lucky. I agree with hotrod, don't bother switching them.

My buddy has an 85 indy 600 and it was always kind of doggy, but we fixed it for the most part. The problem was the clutches, they were dirty, and actually the sliding sheave was getting rusty on the shaft. The buttons were wore down, the belt was too narrow, and the secondary clutch was sticking. We tore them both down, cleaned it, blew out the primary clutch with compressed air, put in new bushings, shims, buttons, belt and now it runs pretty fast again. It still bogs just a tiny bit, but that is due to a rich oil pump setting because we've been warned about the notorious center cylinder burn-down. But after cleaning up the clutches, it ran a LOT better!

·
Administrator
13,095 Posts
Those clutch pullers are the same actually.

If you switch clutches you MUST swap weights and springs. The 440 weights and spring are probably WAY off from what is necessary in the 600. The clutch itself should work right on the motor though.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
you know willy i tried that last year too. my clutch came off of a txl tho.and the weights were WAY to heavy and itwanted to engage at like 2800 rpm even tho when on the txl it engaged at 4500rpm. so i say just fix your current clutches (cleaning them replacing worn parts) and go from there. But i do have to say that the bogging your describing does sound like carbs being out of sync

1 - 6 of 6 Posts