Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
The clutch on my sled is engaging at 6500 rpm`s, what do i need to get for it to get it back down to normal. what size weights or what color spring for both? I would like to get it to engage down around 3 or 4000 rpm`s, anyone know how to set up a clutch for that??? And another thing their is 15000 miles on the sled and the clutches have never been rebuilt. I think thats another problem waiting to happen. But anyone know a good source for finding clutch rebuild kits(for both clutches)? Thanks
1991 Polaris Indy 650

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
15,000 miles? never rebuilt? Holy crap batman!

If that is true...

1. primary rebuild. new spring, new rollers, weights, and pins.

2. seccondary rebuild. new spring and buttons.

Total cost, prolly 150-200. You WILL notice a huge difference.

http://www.wahlracing.com has great prices on polaris rebuild kits, and weights and stuff. They will hook you up.

-Dean

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Ripperd 2 you are right when you say wow 15000 miles and no rebuild. It's about due for a rebuild. Riley

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
By huge difference do you mean a lot more power or different engagment and shifting?And also what spring and weights do you recommend for both(performance wise)?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ohh i should add i want it engaging a lot lower, say around 3 or 4000 rpms, and should i get bushed or non bushed weights? And wide or narrow rollers? and should i replace my helix?

·
Registered
957 Posts
Check out the other post near the top of all the threads "clutch probs on Polaris"... That guys got the exact problem you're having...... read what's being said there.

As for a clutch kit give the people at wal racing, or EPI, or SLP a call and tell them what kind of performance you're llooking for and they'll set you up...If you really have 15000 miles on that thing without a rebuild (i still think that's a typo) I'm sure everything has got to be shot.

·
Registered
637 Posts
You clutch is narrow rollers w/ the regular weights..
Primary
Almond Spring and 10M weights
Secondary
Straight 34 or 36 in the secondary w/ red srping..

That'll work pretty good.. it won't engane at 3-4000 though more like 5-5200.. you can put a lighter spring in the primary if you want lower engagment.. maybe a blue..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts