Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright i have read a bunch of post about clutching and i really dont understand what i should be doing. I have a 1993 Indy 500 EFI that is currently stock. I believe that it has a gold spring with 10m wieghts in the primary and a red spring in the secondary. Now i have no idea what this means...so any help would be great. I want to eventually clutch it to shift higher and give me more punch out of the hole.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
then you will gain off the line and loose on top end speed. i would keep your clutching stock IMO unless you have a good track with studs. what good is it if you spin your track on the low end but cant hook up to the snow, basicly pointless.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have that exact same sled. You haven't had any issues with the efi? We bought the sled. Then maybe 60 miles after the efi fried. Hopefully you wont have the same issues.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mrpipps45 said:
I have that exact same sled. You haven't had any issues with the efi? We bought the sled. Then maybe 60 miles after the efi fried. Hopefully you wont have the same issues.
No the thing is mint. I was a little bit skeptical when i bought it because i heard that there was issuses with that but the thing runs like a top.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
You dont have to compromise with clutching. All you need is a progressive rate helix and the right setup and its sometimes possible to gain top end speed and have a better hole shot.

EPI lists a setup for a 1996 Indy 500, which im pretty sure is probably the exact same drive train as yours. If you call them and tell them what you want Id be willing to bet they will be able to hook you up. Also, on Goodwin Performace's website http://goodwinperformance.com/polarisclutches.asp it says to call them for info on models older than 1998. Def worth a try.

Also, give the search function a try. I typed in "indy 500 clutching" and got quite a few hits.

A good track is also a great idea though. You gain a lot of performance with good traction.

Good luck

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Luke said:
You dont have to compromise with clutching. All you need is a progressive rate helix and the right setup and its sometimes possible to gain top end speed and have a better hole shot.

EPI lists a setup for a 1996 Indy 500, which im pretty sure is probably the exact same drive train as yours. If you call them and tell them what you want Id be willing to bet they will be able to hook you up. Also, on Goodwin Performace's website http://goodwinperformance.com/polarisclutches.asp it says to call them for info on models older than 1998. Def worth a try.

Also, give the search function a try. I typed in "indy 500 clutching" and got quite a few hits.

A good track is also a great idea though. You gain a lot of performance with good traction.

Good luck
I have also seen the clutch kits for the 1996 500 and newer. Is anybody sure if the clutch kits for the new sleds will be compatible with mine?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts