Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
put a set of pipes on my xlt, was just wondering what ppl where running for weights and what top rpm you a getting when you pipes this typoe of machine kinda want to run around 87 to 89. dont really want to rev out to 91
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,400 Posts
I bet if you run 10M you find you run out to 8900 or close to.

http://www.startinglineproducts.com/instsheets/09-595.pdf
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,219 Posts
you cant really just decide what rpm you want to run. your pipes are built around a certain rpm range. you need to set up clutching and jetting to you pipes. some are built for racing soem are built for trail. need to find out what brand and style pipes you got.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,400 Posts
Originally posted by bigwedgies
[br]you cant really just decide what rpm you want to run. your pipes are built around a certain rpm range. you need to set up clutching and jetting to you pipes. some are built for racing soem are built for trail. need to find out what brand and style pipes you got.
I disagree, I choose to run mine higher than Aaen recommends, if he chooses to run his lower it will not affect his jetting too drastically.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,219 Posts
i never did say he cannot run where he wants, maybe i worded wrong, i was simply implying he may want to rethink this. i understand his concern giving the fact its an xlt motor and theyre notourious for failure once modded. also notice hes running psi pipes not aaen. i have run both on my xlts. oh and are your aaens on xlt or 650 motors. its hard to give someone specific advice when youre not sure what elevation theyre running. your in wisc. hes in sask. and 10m weights were stock on xlts(that im familiar with) and they ran 81-8200 rpm. this wasnt meant to be a bashing of any sort, im simply letting him,you know where i was coming from with my comment on the rpm range. we all have our own opinions. i didnt previously comment on your 10m weight suggestion because of this. he was asking our opinions on what we have run. you even said, should affect his jetting TOO drastically, may or may not. was just trying to caution him.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
Originally posted by Triple650Indy
[br]
Originally posted by bigwedgies
[br]you cant really just decide what rpm you want to run. your pipes are built around a certain rpm range. you need to set up clutching and jetting to you pipes. some are built for racing soem are built for trail. need to find out what brand and style pipes you got.
I disagree, I choose to run mine higher than Aaen recommends, if he chooses to run his lower it will not affect his jetting too drastically.
Sounds like you should make your own pipes since you think that manufactures dont know where to run their rpms at, yea they will run what ever rpm you want but they wont make the advertised horsepower. thats why pipe makers send out a spec sheet
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
these pieps at ment to run at 91 peak im running in about 2000 feet. so ya just want my peak to be at 89 or so in the range so ya im thinking off running a 10 m r i belive a 10 m w will give me 9100 rpm at my elevation
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,400 Posts
Sure, bud, I will go make my own, I have a complete write up on the basic pipe theory, plus I created a spread sheet that allows me to calculate out the general dimensions I need to build a set. So, I do know what I'm talking about. Granted, I'm not completely familiar with the clutching of the XLT, but I can school 99% of people 10 ways to sunday on pipe theory and building of pipes. If I had the tools to build them you'd see them out there right now.

Read up, enjoy...

http://www.snowmobilefanatics.net/triple650indy/11

And I do know that Aaen was conservative with their pipes on my sled and chose to clutch them out to 9000 RPM for reliability. But, if I clutch to 9400 RPM as EPI usually does on a similar setup I can make 4 more horsepower. I also have the dynoed statistics from M-Performance that tell me this.

The XLT's were typically run in 8900 to 9400 RPM range and varied from a 19 HP advertised gain to a 23 HP advertised gain depending on manufacturer. Now if he reads my link its all good, he finds a suitable baseline for jetting and clutching and can play around from there. Oh, but I know nothing, also the name of the topic says, "Clutching for pipes." Not what have you run for pipes clutching. But clearly my information is worthless because I know nothibng about pipes or XLT's. By the way I've helped in my share of XLT rebuilds. Also one more thing if I mess up tell me, I will take the heat. But again if he looks at the link I provided he's fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by bigwedgies
[br]you cant really just decide what rpm you want to run. your pipes are built around a certain rpm range. you need to set up clutching and jetting to you pipes. some are built for racing soem are built for trail. need to find out what brand and style pipes you got.
Also ive hear of guys running pipes at 8700 peak its all personally preferace i realize im not going to get the max hps but i still want some reliability. should still make about 10 to 15 more horse just cause your freeing up the exhaust its not all mixing into one pipe. and ill have the sound
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
522 Posts
Originally posted by Triple650Indy
[br]Sure, bud, I will go make my own, I have a complete write up on the basic pipe theory, plus I created a spread sheet that allows me to calculate out the general dimensions I need to build a set. So, I do know what I'm talking about. Granted, I'm not completely familiar with the clutching of the XLT, but I can school 99% of people 10 ways to sunday on pipe theory and building of pipes. If I had the tools to build them you'd see them out there right now.

Read up, enjoy...

http://www.snowmobilefanatics.net/triple650indy/11

And I do know that Aaen was conservative with their pipes on my sled and chose to clutch them out to 9000 RPM for reliability. But, if I clutch to 9400 RPM as EPI usually does on a similar setup I can make 4 more horsepower. I also have the dynoed statistics from M-Performance that tell me this.

The XLT's were typically run in 8900 to 9400 RPM range and varied from a 19 HP advertised gain to a 23 HP advertised gain depending on manufacturer. Now if he reads my link its all good, he finds a suitable baseline for jetting and clutching and can play around from there. Oh, but I know nothing, also the name of the topic says, "Clutching for pipes." Not what have you run for pipes clutching. But clearly my information is worthless because I know nothibng about pipes or XLT's. By the way I've helped in my share of XLT rebuilds. Also one more thing if I mess up tell me, I will take the heat. But again if he looks at the link I provided he's fine.
Sounds like someone needs to take a chill pill.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,400 Posts
Yes, maybe I do, but these guys just disregard me like I'm chop liver here! It upset me.[:D]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
685 Posts
Originally posted by Triple650Indy
[br]Yes, maybe I do, but these guys just disregard me like I'm chop liver here! It upset me.[:D]
Hey dont let it get to you..Lots of us value YOUR opinion. You have a proven track record and good feedback points as well. I back ya[8D]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,219 Posts
ok i dont usually get this involved in a post, but....to clear things up, the post is labeled clutching for pipes, but his question was what have people run for weights and what top rpm. so im guessing hes looking for peoples opions that HAVE run xlts. now as far as your info and link there 650, all this is just info taken from websites that you put into your own words and used their diagrams. its not like this is your own work. it is a nice piece you put together for people who dont have time to search for all this info. im not bashing it. but you make it sound like you wrote it. and same with your spreadsheet. its just stuff youve taken from sites and put together. anyone can go to the same sites and put this stuff together. if they have the time to sit around and read and go thru all this. and i think anyone would build their own pipes, If they had the tools.(theres plenty of software for this sort of thing. hell id build my own everything, if i had the tool. as far as schooling 99% of the people i doubt it. can you school me? possibly im the type who buys items already tested and proven i dont have time to try and design and build my own. i would love to, but right now my job keeps me too busy.
now you can take this as a bashing, or just my opinion or however you wanna take it. im a trial and error guy,not a hows it look on paper kind of guy. anyone who has done any sort of constructon work, knows what comes from the people in the office who put it on paper.
as far as my 2 cents on this thread ive posted it. my xlts all ran manufaturer specs and i had no problems. my 93 had psi pipes my 95 had aaen pipes. im not gonna comment in this particular post again, my apologies to joshwa for jacking the thread and having to go here. if anyone would like to comment to me or about me, please do it in a pm. this poor guy is trying to get his xlt together.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,219 Posts
your profesionalism speaks for itself. and i did give you credit for it. as i said its a nice piece of work for those of us who dont have time to search this info. and i did also say that you can PROBALLY school me on pipes. and it was nice of you to send the pm also,but you shoulda done it prior to making yourself look like a lil whiner in the thread.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top