Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I am going to some drag races with all my buddies this weekend and I have a 1998 XLT Limited, pure stock but it has a B&B Eliminator Silencer on it.
Could you guys give me some good clutching tips so I can get a good holeshot or just better acceleration for the weekend?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Almond/gold primary spring 10mb weights polaris silver secondary spring and t-1 helix ( 94 storm) #3 hole and gear down a tooth or too. May have to play with weights to get RPM's to 8500-8700 have fun.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Any xlt that was running right will be able to turn those rpm's The factory spec is 8500 +or- 200 rpm's for a bone stock sled. If your not turning that you are not in the powerband, therefor you will beslow and under powered.

·
Registered
15 Posts
XLTLimited, although I don't have any ideas for your clutch question, but I too have the same sled with about 2000 miles on it. When cold it is very hard to get started via the pull rope,when it starts it is pretty smokey and it slightly fouls plugs. Others have told me that I probably need new needles and seats. Have you had or heard the same problem? I bought this sled used last year so I don't know much about servicing it. I cannot find a Service manual for it, have you?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PS I wish I new more about the clutch so I could help you out in return.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Edukl. I have not had any trouble starting my machine at all over the past 2 years. This morning I walked outside and it was -32, I took the cover off, flicked the choke up and it started first pull, which it usually does, always first or second. You might want to bring it to you dealer and tell him this is happening and tell him you need the regular tune-up.
I have not found a service manual for it, I just bring it to my dealer.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bigboreking, I am also running 34mm carbs and even with my B&B Eliminator I was hitting around 7900 rpm's. My clutch engages around 3 and a half.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Definately sounds low. You should be engaging at around 4000 rpm with a top of around 8300 to 8600. Look at your clutching and belt.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Ok here is the deal..........ditch the Gold spring go up to a Blue on your primary clutch.

On your secondary keep the stock spring but replace it. Your supposed to chaneg both springs every 2500 miles. Move it to the third hole and keep the stock helix. It wil launch like a new machine.

The blue spring will kick the clutch engagement up to about 4200 - 4300 hundred and get. Moving the secondary spring will make it open slower resulting in more low end out of the hole. I just did these mods this weekend and what a difference.

Good luck.

KB

·
Registered
210 Posts
xltlimited,
I have the exact same machine. Right now I am running the blue spring in the primary. I changed the stock 34 helix to a 36. I was going to go with a 38-34, but I like it this way for now. With this set-up I had to go up 2 grams on the weights. Right now engagement is about 4500. It was turning way too many rpms with the stock weights. I think the peak hp for this motor is around 7800. If it'll hook up, it launches quite well. Next step I guess is an 1 1/4" track. The wife rides this one though and she doesn't want it to snappy. Hope this helps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts