Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys, I'm struggling here. When I put the pipes on last season EPI told me 44 gram weights, a Polaris Blue primary spring, a straight 36 and a silver/blue secondary spring will get me the results I wanted for my piped RXL. The thing is, it is falling flat on its face when cruising at 7000 RPM and then I punch it. Also, it is revving out to 10,000 RPM, which is about 600 RPM too much. Now, I'm also concerned because there is quite a bit of rubber build up on the primary in the top half of the sheaves. I'm thinking the weights are too light and the primary is spinning to 10,000 RPM, but not applying enough pressure to the belt. The secondary is nearly perfectly clean as well.

Now, I've check defelection and taken a few shims out to bring that back to spec, and also check the offset which is good yet. I would like to here your thoughts on my issues. I will probably drop to 47 gram weights.

·
Registered
295 Posts
sounds like you have already diagnosed the issue.
the rubber on the sheave is telling you that the sheave is not pinching the belt hard enough.weight needs to push harder.
was the primary clutch temperature higher than the norm,should be.
either need more weight in the particular part of the shift, or maybe try a spring with just a little less finish force.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
is the motor loading up on fuel?

belt material on the clutch means slipping or out of alignment. you could add a couple grams to get the rpms down on top end. dont put the spring in hole 4 on the helix. it can mess up a stright helix and rpms.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, I'll recheck the alignment and make sure it is all good.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, here's the update, I tried 47.5 (10-MB's). They lowered the RPM to where I want them. However it feels gutless on the top end and doesn't feel like I'm getting full shift out, but I didn't have a marker to check. Also most of the residue from the belt is gone now, but there is still quite a bit at the very top of the primary. But it doesn't matter for a while, I have to troubleshoot the ignition system tonight. Got 40 miles down Lake Winnebago and suddenly the sled starts sputtering and backfiring. I stop to see if a plug is fouled. It idled down fine, and I pulled each plug boot off and it was fine. Tried to get up to speed again, and it wouldn't even move. Shut it off and there it sat, with intermitten spark and wouldn't start again. So, I'll be going through that whole fiasco first.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts