Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The sled is a 1997 XLTsp. Well I blew all my money this year getting the 'ol girl back up to snuff (rebuilt 4 shocks, new belt, slides, etc...) and new SLP skiis and cobra shield (for looks only :).

Idealy I'd like to see increased low and mid range without scacfaficing too much up top. A pipe dream?

I was wondering if it's possible to get modest gains from clutching without spending a lot of money. Any suggested changes to the weights or primary spring that might work. I'm guessing changing the helix would be out for now if I'm looking to cut costs. I wouldn't mind hearing the complete set-up people found to be successful though, as I would like to dump a bit more money into the clutch next year.

I know there has been a lot of talk lately about clutching, but I'm just looking for some proven ideas so I don't have to buy myself a inventory of springs, wieghts, helixs, etc...

thanks in advance

dan

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have the same sled,this is my clutch set from slp,I use a blue drive spring,10-m white wts.,40-40/36 helix and slippery buttons on the clutch.I also have slp pipes on my sled.The clutch comes in at 4200 rpms.If you don't pipe the sled I don't think your motor will pull that set up.correct me if I'am wrong.The pipes give you more rpms, so buy putting the clutch kit in it brings down you rpms so you don't over rev.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
I have the same sled as well, and the best gain I realized was in clutching. I put in a white EPI primary spring, which replaced the stock gold, and a yellow secondary spring, which replaced the stock red.

WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!! The springs were only like $17 each through my aftermarket dealer. I think they're $20 each if you order them from EPI.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by Tfin70
[br]I have the same sled as well, and the best gain I realized was in clutching. I put in a white EPI primary spring, which replaced the stock gold, and a yellow secondary spring, which replaced the stock red.

WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!
Does the white primary spring give you higher engagements rpm? If so what rpm. What does changing to the yellow secondary spring do for ya.

Overall, what was the difference after your clutching changes?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts